Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    markv

Default Anyone got this book ?

Has anyone got a copy of this book that htey could look up a name for me ?

Madeleine Windsor. She was a pianist b.1903. I think she may have married a Mr Jeynes

"Who's who in music and musicians' international directory"‎ -
    by David Alan Simmons -Page 231

Any help/info on this lady would be much appreciated. My local library cannot get hold of a copy :-(

mark

keith.robinson

If nobody has a copy then you can obtain one from abebooks.com Do a search on author: David Simmons and "search within these results" Who's It comes up with 3 results.

Keith
    Last edited by Jan1954; 09-10-2009 at 8:40 PM. Reason: Commercial url deleted - please read the AUP

SueNSW

Can't help with the book I'm afraid Mark but from Ancestry and The Times online I can confirm that Madeleine Wynne Windsor married Alban George Hardy Jeynes "On Sept 7th 1939, at Temple Combe, quietly owing to the war"

The engagement had been announced in The Times - 26th April 1939 - he was recorded as Captain Alban George Hardy Jeynes (Indian Army retired) eldest son of the late Mr and Mrs G B Jeynes of Worcestershire and she was the younger daughter of the Rev Prebendary R W Windsor of Templecombe Somerset.

Alban died 2nd May 1980 "peacefully in his 90th year" He was an "FRAM" (Fellow of the Royal Academy of Music I think) and Margaret was still alive at that stage

Her death was registered in Dec 1992 - aged 90 - her date of birth was recorded as 2nd Nov 1902

The Times of May 2nd 1919 recorded she had won the Advanced Grade Silver Medal offered by the Associate Board of the Royal Academy of Music for the second highest marks in examinations open to all in the British Isles held at local centres during March and April that year (she took hers at Bath)

She was made an Associate of the Royal Academy of Music in 1928 and she performed in "Works for Two Pianofortes" with an Alan Richardson at the Wigmore Hall in London on Jan 26th 1934

A general google search brings up her name as someone that modern pianists studied under - so presumably she taught piano also

Hope this helps a little

Cheers
    Sue

SueNSW

Moving down the unread posts I noticed you also had a message in the Surname Interests section for this family

A couple of pieces of extra information -

Edith Madge Wynne Windsor was baptised by her father at St John's Highbury (London) on 21st September 1897 - address was 5 Highbury Quadrant. Mother was Edith Ellen

Sadly her death was recorded in the Oct/Nov/Dec qtr of 1897

Edith Gwendoline Windsor - again baptised by her father at St David's West Holloway (London) 16th February 1901 address and mother the same as at the time of the previous daughter's baptism

The 1911 census only shows Edith Gwendoline (10) and Madeleine Wynne (8) with their parents in the Bath district

Cheers
    Sue

markv

Thanks

You people are fantastic.
    I wish I was near a Record Office that had Times online for free :-), maybe next time I'm in London I'll pop into LMA

I had found them on the 1911 census and saw that one child had died but didn't know the child's name.

Also many thanks for the death dates, that has helped a great deal.

Now to find out if Edith Gwendolene or Madeleine had children :-)

markv

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by markv View Post
    I wish I was near a Record Office that had Times online for free :-)
    As you're in Dorset, you should be able to access the Times Digital Archive online, for free, at home, using your Dorset Libraries card

Kerrywood

markv

Well

That I NEVER knew !! I'll go try now.

markv

I cannot see how to use my library card. Can you please explain ?

thanks

mark v

Your library card should have your name and a number on it.

If you go to this screen you should be able to enter those and log on.

I'm not in Dorset so I can't verify it, but that is what I do in my own county

Kerrywood

And if you go here there is a list of online resources available to Dorset Libraries members.

(I don't know why it's part of Plymouth, but I'm very ignorant about the south-west )

Kerrywood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast