Barbara F

Default British Waterways Archives

I'm sure someone out there will know the answer and it may be just the link I need.
    My 3 x Gt Grandfather married in Aylesbury in 1821 and by 1823 was living in Gt Berkhamstead. I have no idea where he was born and can only guess at either Bucks or Herts. He fathered two sons both born in Gt B'hamstead but by 1827 was dead.
    His widow remarried and remained in Gt B'hamstead for a while and his son turns up in Marylebone, London in the 1841 census. The Grand Union was built in the early 1800's and passes through all three places. I am clutching at straws here and wondering if that could be the reason Thomas moved from Aylesbury to Gt, Berkhamstead and his son onward to London.
    Does anybody know if the BWB has archives about the building of canals and if so do oyu know where they are. I appreciate that the canals were built by private companies all those years ago so there may not be answers in the BWB archive.

Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Barbara F

Ohhhh Sue!
    That looks interesting, I will read and study and make an effort to visit Gloucester as soon as I can. Might just be the answer.
    Very many thanks

Barbara

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara F View Post
    Does anybody know if the BWB has archives about the building of canals and if so do oyu know where they are.
    The National Register of Archives is the first place to try

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/n...?subjectType=O

Try a Corporate Name of just "Waterways" for a start.