Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    DRosebud

Unhappy 1871 Census

My apologies Petra, my post #7 should have been titled details of 1871 Census record

Deborah

petraroe

I have no idea what happened to William, as I can find very little on him (including a marriage to the mother of my Nan)

I got his birth certificate in the hope it would shed some light but it seems to have just raised more questions. There are a number of references to Elizabeth Waddingham but without knowing if that is her maiden or married name I am at a bit of a loss.

I will see what I can find out on the possibility of his father being named Brown. I cannot locate a register of admissions online for this workhouse but I will keep searching.

I also thought she was a little mature to be a single mother, but if she was a widow that had gone into the workhouse, she may have met a new man there. As I know very little about workhouses I am entirely guessing at possibilities.

Thanks for your help

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by petraroe
    I have no idea what happened to William, as I can find very little on him (including a marriage to the mother of my Nan)
    You might try searching for him by initials rather than full name.

He may have used the surname BROWN at sometime.

It may be worth checking to see if he joined any of the armed services.

There are a number of references to Elizabeth Waddingham but without knowing if that is her maiden or married name I am at a bit of a loss.
    The census returns (if they relate to her), appear to indicate that WADDINGHAM was her married name.

I cannot locate a register of admissions online
    You will be highly unlikely to do so.

To find out what survives, either search Access to Archives, of use the workhouses web-site

Reputation beyond repute

Did he state a father's name when he married? Even if it was untrue, there may be a clue there.

You certainly wouldn't find the workhouse registers on line. In fact, sadly, my reference books say that nothing useful has survived for that period.

I know I haven't done any work on this so you may well think that I'm cheeky to intervene but I just don't want you to close your mind to the possibility that the mother may have been a different Elizabeth WADDINGHAM.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey
    I just don't want you to close your mind to the possibility that the mother may have been a different Elizabeth WADDINGHAM.
    Very true and remiss of me not to have highlighted the fact that the census entries found are one possible solution - the work begins then on trying to prove or disprove it as correct.

Apart from the Guardians' minute books, there seems nothing else available from this period for the workhouse.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

FreeBMD has the marriage of an Elizabeth Waddingham presumably to Edward Morris in September quarter 1868 Sleaford registration district.
    Elizabeth and Edward's names are the only two showing on the page at the moment. The marriage is not in the Lincolnshire Marriages 1837-1870 index https://s10.freefronthost.com/mi/index.html meaning that they either married at one of the churches who registers have still to be deposited at Lincolnshire Archives or that they married at the Register Office.
    In 1871 Edward and Elizabeth are living in Scredington with Richard Waddingham aged 4 born Osbournby, listed as son, also a daughter and another son, both with the surname of Morriss. RG10/3353 folio 44 page 4
    FreeBMD currently has no birth registration for a Richard Waddingham born 1865-1869. Might be worth perusing the Osbournby baptism register.
    Pam

Um, interesting that in 1901 William Waddingham, now allegedly born in 1871 and married to Charlotte, gives his birthplace as Osonby Sleaford. Probably lopped a few years off his age because Charlotte is only 23. RG13/4250 folio 88 page 27, civil parish of Potternewton.
    (Not sure if you have the mariage certificate Petra, but it's a 'must buy'. On FreeBMD - March quarter 1897 Lincoln registration district to Charlotte Gowen.)

Meanwhile in 1881 Edward Morris and Elizabeth nee Waddingham are living in Lincoln, and son Richard (now named as 'do' indicating Morriss) aged 15 has a birthplace of Sleaford. RG11/3241 folio 136 page 15.

Edward and Elizabeth are living in Lincoln in 1891, but I'm not having much success in locating either a Richard Morris/Waddingham or a William Waddingham in 1891.
    Pam
    Last edited by Procat; 08-10-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Poster request

petraroe

The facts I know from birth certificates are:
    He was born in the New Sleaford Union Workhouse in June 1866. Mother Elizabeth Waddingham father unnamed.

He is named on my Grandmothers (Chrlotte Waddingham) birth certificate in 1906 as William Brown Waddingham and her mother was named as Sarah Waddingham formerly Frook (Although we think this may be incorrect, maybe Frohock. The posts are all on this site that led to that conclusion)

No where can I find a marriage between William Brown and Sarah. (He was also considerably older than her (17 years)

Other than that I have no hard facts.

Petra

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by petraroe
    He is named on my Grandmothers (Chrlotte Waddingham) birth certificate in 1906 as William Brown Waddingham and her mother was named as Sarah Waddingham formerly Frook (Although we think this may be incorrect, maybe Frohock. The posts are all on this site that led to that conclusion)

No where can I find a marriage between William Brown and Sarah. (He was also considerably older than her (17 years)
    Have you been able to identify the couple on the 1911 census? If so, how long did they claim on tat to have been married?

Seems like all my William Waddingham, and Elizabeth Waddinham married Edward Morris stuff is totally irrelevant if you read this thread. (Which I've just found since Petra wrote
    The posts are all on this site that led to that conclusion
    )
    .)
    So basically ignore posts 16 and 17 in this thread.
    Pam

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast