Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate my PC!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by carolchipp
    I know it is only a machine but I am beginning to hate it.
    Either:

1. Hit it with something hard, you'll feel better. Take pieces to scrapyard and then spend lots of money on a new machine.

or

2. Swear at the machine; put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cuppa. The disadavantage here being that the machine will not go away.

I hate inanimate objects that won't do as they're told - they know they're going to lose, so why not give in staright away and save all that frustration?

esdel

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    Hi Esdel. Luckily, I'm not having any problems right now, but it's always good to have a techie site around just in case. I am also lucky to be with a server with a head office here in town. I can phone for computer help or, if it can't be sorted over the phone, I can haul my desktop PC down to them and they sort it there So far, they've never charged me.

My sister in the UK, who does most of the family research, is also having trouble with BT and she's fed up with it. Does BT have a monopoly over there?

I switched to Live Windows when it first came out. Hell on earth with constant demands for sign in and password. I went back to Outlook. I have yahell and use it about once a year. Can't stand all the other stuff that comes up on the screen when all I want to do is check my mail. I also have a gmail account as a backup and it seems to work well.
    Hi Carmy
    You are lucky to be in "go ahead" Canada and right near your server. I have always found the servers is Australia, NZ and Canada extremely helpful - even to me (I am not their customer). The ones here seem to have given up and fallen into apathy.

I too find Google mail very good.
    I have used Outlook and Outlook Express for years but they store all your messages on YOUR computer until it has indigestion and is quick "like paint drying".
    So I found an excellent "store at their site" server and now never need the "help" of the Outlooks to do anything at all - I just click on my "email" icon and I am on line!

In the US we used to get all local calls free. Suggest that to BT and they have an apoplectic fit!
    esdel

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Either:

1. Hit it with something hard, you'll feel better. Take pieces to scrapyard and then spend lots of money on a new machine.

or

2. Swear at the machine; put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cuppa. The disadavantage here being that the machine will not go away.

I hate inanimate objects that won't do as they're told - they know they're going to lose, so why not give in staright away and save all that frustration?
    A man after my own heart! Your second piece of advice I have already been doing. I don't think my OH would appreciate the first. Having said that, he once got so frustrated with a printer that wouldn't behave, he pulled out the connections, took it outside and threw it down the yard! Unfortunately he then realised that he needed it to print off something v. important (hence the frustration). So, he gathered it up - rather battered looking and slightly falling apart (the printer not the husband)- took it back in the house and put it back together. Guess what? IT WORKED PERFECTLY FROM THEN ON, even though it looked like scrap! Perhaps there is something to be said for giving a PC a good bash once in a while
    Carol

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

When we first installed Mozilla and it wouldn't let me view original records on genes, I simply opened the site on Internet Explorer. Problem solved. ...
    At the time of my last Mozilla Firefox update it warned me that it was no longer compatible with Ancestry's viewer (it does check compatibility with addons on your computer) So I use A*s old viewer.

Might be the same thing with the viewer on Genes, suddenly no longer compatible with the last Mozilla update.
    ChristineR

Carmy

Hi Kermie.

Thank you for introducing me to Daniweb. I've spent a while there today "speeding up my XP' according to the thread they have. Wow!

Tederator

Quote Originally Posted by esdel View Post
    Hi Carmy
    I have always found the servers is Australia extremely helpful
    esdel

You've got to be joking, I find them as about much use as a dead ant, in fact I'd get more sense out of a dead ant.

Ted

kermie62

Yes they are fantqastic there, a group of enthusiasts who know what they are talking about with some good ideas and very helpful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12