Stephen Evans

Question Family History Societies

Having been a member for the last two years of the DFHS and the fact that as a member I have not been able to gain access to the members forum for at least the last six months. My family history has led to include counties in both England and Wales, I am keen to know the value of membership to Family History Societies around England and Wales and if one has had problems with some of the ones advertised on the internet.

Cheers as Always,

MarkJ

There was a very lengthy discussion on various FHS and similar organisations a while back on the forum.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=29518

Perhaps worth a read through there and the other threads in the Family History Society forum section.

Mark

v.wells

Hi Stephen

I have just signed in and out of DFHS with no problem. You can email them at membersinterests@devonfhs dot org dot uk with your concerns about access. I must admit that I am not renewing my membership as my interests, like yours, has spread to different parts of the UK. I think they all have different uses, some have newsletters and CD's for sale, some others don't. I think you need to determine where your largest interest is concentrated and perhaps get a membership from that particular FHS if you really need it. Parish Chest is another great source for obtaining books, CD's and maps.

And there is B-G for help with look ups. I have found that most if not all Family History Societies have nothing available for post 1920's.

Hi Stephen
    By DFHS and your post I assume that you mean Devon FHS. Only mentioning it as I am a member of DFHS (Derbyshire FHS). They don't make life simple by having the same abbreviations do they?

Copper

I wondered if it was Dorset FHS How confusing.

Stephen Evans

Red face

Hi All,

It was the Dyfed Family History Society.

Apologies

MarkJ

With regard to the problem with the specific FHS, did you follow up the suggestions in the thread a month or so ago?
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=50385

Mark

Stephen Evans

Thanks Mark J,

I will follow it up.