Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default An 'obscure' location in England

A fellow researcher from the U.S. has indicated that the place of bith for an immigrant to the US was born in WARFORD U.K. No county was indicated. I've 'googled' with no success.

I've checked Watford, to no avail. Is there/was there such a place?

Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

Colin

...or possibly Warnford near Petersfield in Hampshire.

I've not found a Warford as such but quite often old villages have been subsumed into towns and cities and modern maps no longer have them as places. Google would probably not find it on its mapping in such circumstances although if it existed it might turn up as a historic reference...but you've already done that.

cheers
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

RonOne

Hi Colin,
    There is a Great Warford and a Little Warford in Cheshire.

I also found Warford Park in or near Mobberley, Cheshire so that seems like the right area to look
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by tony vines View Post
    Colin

...or possibly Warnford near Petersfield in Hampshire.

I've not found a Warford as such but quite often old villages have been subsumed into towns and cities and modern maps no longer have them as places. Google would probably not find it on its mapping in such circumstances although if it existed it might turn up as a historic reference...but you've already done that.

cheers

Thanks, Tony.

I've searched Free BMD for the name of the person. Watford turned up a chap with the same 1st name, the same middle initial and birth in 1871. My chap was born in 1876.

The 2 that turned up with the correct full name in 1876, were born in Bromley and Poplar, so neither appears to be right.

There may have been a marriage in 1909 so view of that marriage certificate may shed som light. Any other suggestions?

Cheers
    Colin

esdel

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Thanks, Tony.

I've searched Free BMD for the name of the person. Watford turned up a chap with the same 1st name, the same middle initial and birth in 1871. My chap was born in 1876.

The 2 that turned up with the correct full name in 1876, were born in Bromley and Poplar, so neither appears to be right.

There may have been a marriage in 1909 so view of that marriage certificate may shed som light. Any other suggestions?

Cheers
    Colin
    Well, If you don't fancy any of those Warfords you may have to settle for Warfield in Berkshire!

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ronone View Post
    Hi Colin,
    There is a Great Warford and a Little Warford in Cheshire.
    Thanks all for your suggestions of a 'place'. The marriage was in Glamorganshire, the bride was from Cornwall and the groom from [that place - wherever it is]

Not being well up on locations of counties across the pond, can you tell me if Cheshire is close to Wales or Cornwall?

Thanks
    Colin - the dumb Canuck

Cheshire and Wales share a land boundary. Cornwall is across the Severn estuary from the southern coast of Wales but Cheshire is about 150 miles away.

PS Don't you have maps in Canada?

Colin Rowledge

Cheshire and Wales share a land boundary. Cornwall is across the Severn estuary from the southern coast of Wales but Cheshire is about 150 miles away.

Thanks, Tony.

Yes I have a large R--d M-----y atlas but my daughter borrowed it to use for her Masters thesis on Earth Surface Sciences. One of these days, if I live long enough, it'll be returned.

All I have now are road maps of Canada which aint much good are they?

Cheers mate
    Colin

v.wells

Hmmph...I spent quite a while trying to find Castle W. as a registration district on a death index. Finally found my bookmarked page for registration districts by name and then I was able to find it on a map.

England appears to have many more town/village/hamlet place names repeated in different counties, than here in Canada (in fact you will find a lot of UK place names repeated here) and if the writing is barely legible it makes it hard guessing and locating the correct place

Sometimes, it is just plain easier to ask B-G members

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast