chrisp

Default Earlswood Asylum

Can anyone give me any information about Earlswood Asylum. Would particularly like to know if it is possible to get information on past patients.
    Chris

lellybean57

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp
    Can anyone give me any information about Earlswood Asylum. Would particularly like to know if it is possible to get information on past patients.
    Chris
    Hi Chrisp, have you tried looking at the census returns for Earlswood Asylum, Nr Redhill, I think it will be listed under 'Reigate Foreign' all inmates/patients/staff at time of census are listed. Several of my family worked at the asylum between the 1860-1920's some even met their future spouse's there.

Colin Moretti

Default Hospital database

Hello Chris

Search for the hospital in the Hospital Records Database at
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/

The information provided includes:

The administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type
    The location and covering dates of administrative and clinical records
    The existence of lists, catalogues or other finding aids
    Links to some online hospital catalogues on Access to Archives (A2A)

Remember that patient records are likely to have a 100 year closure.

Colin

AnnB

You may get further information from the Rossbrett Institutions Website at https://www.institutions.org.uk/ Put Earlswood into the search facility, and you will find a number of 'hits'.
    Best wishes
    Ann

Richard Brown

Default Earlswood Asylum

Chris Look at Alan Moore's website on the history of Reigate and district. Follow this link: www.redhill-reigate-history.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Chris
    My Great Grandfather, William BROWN of Mackrells, Earlswood Common had connections with the asylum; he was on the board of governors, I believe. He was a town councillor and at the end of the 19th Century, mayor of Reigate. I haven't researched this aspect of my family histroy too closely, and intend to in the future. However, I hope I have helped in some way.

Good luck.

Richard Brown

Richard Brown

Talking Earlswood Asylum - 1901 Census

Hello again,

You may find this of some help. Jeff Knaggs has indexed all Institutions recorded in the 1901 Census of England and Wales. He has produced an HTML document with good explanatory notes and well hyperlinked. If you wish to download the document, I suggest you use it in its HTML format. It would be far better to create a “Favourites” link to it.

I made the mistake of converting the document into a word version for use offline – an 8.2MB (8,416,768 bytes) result! On reflection, this was a pointless exercise because I only have interests in 2 or 3 institutions and could easily work on line via a link as necessary. :!

You have been warned!

Jeff’s references to Earlswood are in the following short table which I have extracted from his data. If you want to find the index, I suggest you Google “Jeff Knaggs.” Alternatively, try a phrase from the following extract, or try the links at the foot of this communication.

EXTRACT From J Knaggs' index:-

RG 13/628 Reigate Reigate

80-87 Philanthropic Society's Farm School Reformatory Redhill
    Reigate St John Reigate South East - Reigate -

88-93 Reigate Union Workhouse Workhouse Earlswood

94-109 Earlswood Asylum Idiot Asylum Earlswood

110-121 Royal Asylum of St Anne's Society Home for Children Redhill
    Reigate St Matthew Reigate East - Reigate -

End of Extract.

Now, I forgot I had the following information on my PC. You should find it helpful.

Jeff has connections with a rather useful group called the Leeds indexers. They have produced a nice spreadsheet which will take data collected from the 1901 census by you. You can then operate a couple of nice neat functions in the spreadsheet to break the data down into searchable groups by family as well as provide approximate page and folio references from your data sets. My explanation is rather crude, and I suggest you visit the two websites via the links below.

Piece Folio Data by: Jeffery Knaggs / James Heald
    Spreadsheet Design and Code by Stephen T. Miller

Their spreadsheet is called: Spreadsheet - 1901 census extract v2_1c

I hope this helps.