Brick wall demolition expert!

Default John-Mather_whitelegg

Could someone please have a look at the 1841 census , Ann Whitelgge-mispelt Whiteleyy ( 1821 Cheshire) is living with her married sister Elizabeth Davies, Ann also has her illegitimate son John Whitelegg and another child I am assuming is a twin, When you look at original John is 4 weeks not 4 mths, same age as other child female NK? I am just wondering if anyone knows why the other baby would not be recorded with a name, I know this child did not survive as I have the family history following pre and post 1841.

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 93; Book: 17; Civil Parish: Lymm; County: Cheshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 12; Page: 18; Line: 23;
    Last edited by Mutley; 27-09-2009 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Removed GSU Number, it is copyright

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by valg View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone knows why the other baby would not be recorded with a name
    Because the child had not been named at that point in time. Perhaps she was never named as you say she didn't survive.

Perhaps this is the birth...

Births Mar 1841
    Whitelegg Female Altrincham 19 22

Do you have the death certificate or parish burial record for the child?

gasser

A child that was sickly and not destined to live long might not have been named, and so would be included on the census as female NK

Perhaps this is the birth...
    Births Mar 1841
    Whitelegg Female Altrincham 19 22
    The 1841 census was taken as of midnight June 6 - do you have John's birth certificate which would help determine whether he (and she) were either 4wks or 4mths old at time of census?
    the only birth registered for John to fit timescale ie. for age 4mths is
    Births Mar 1841
    Whitelegg John Stockport 19 233

Hi thanks for that, no I dont have a birth certificate for John, I think is must be 4 weeks as a baby would surely not remain unamed for 4 mths, I had thought myself that maybe they knew the baby would not survive, but still strange they never named her, does NK stand for not known?so if the census was taken June 6 the birth would be early May, thanks members

Found Christening record-John Whitelegg-Mother Ann Whitelegg-28 NOV 1841 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England