Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dixie

Default Abandoned baby Reading 1965

Does anyone remember a baby boy being abandoned at Reading Train Station in 1965? The person who found him was registered at Northern Rock House, Cheapside, Reading. Can anyone tell me what this building is now? Any information would be greatly received.

Marie C..

I lived on outskirts of Reading in from 1961 to 1976 but I can't exactly remember that case because there were often babies left/abandonded during those years. They were usually taken to the local hospital(Battle hospital ) in Tilehurst Rd. Reading.
    Try www.readinglibraries.org
    The local paper was the reading Mercury. It should have archives .
    The building I must have passed many times but cannot remember. I think it was the one just on the corner opposite the then entrance to Reading Station. Marie

Marie C..

Correction. the website should be https://www.readinglibraries.org.uk/s.../localnews.htm
    Marie

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps someone at Northern Rock could tell you who they handed the Cheapside office over to. Is knowing the answer going to solve any genealogical problem?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

I've only lived in Reading since 1981. Cheapside is no more than 150 yards long. I think that, at the time you are thinking of, over half of the east side of Cheapside would have been occupied by the Coop, and a large part of the west side by the Odeon cinema. That restricts where the building may be somewhat. I have put a query as to what northern rock House is now on the local forum

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Only had one reply, so far, from the reading forum, and it doesn't help much, but I copy it below. The author is someone who has lived in reading for a long time.

Can't visualise it mikejee - in 1965 the Odeon cinema would still have been occupying a fair chunk of the western side, with the Co-op the eastern side. Possibly it's where the old Palace Theatre would have been (next to the Odeon)? There were also a collection of smaller retail shops on the western side too, in fact I think there still are. Possibly someone's got a Kelly's for the year, or the Reference Library at Reading Central may be able to help.

Dixie

Thanks for the help. I lived in Reading for a while, mid 70's to 2000 and seem to remember a doorway in Cheapside that led to offices above the shops, somewhere near what was Games Workshop. I think at the time it was Government offices and I'm wondering if this was known as Northern Rock House. I'll pass on all info received and recommend a visit to the library as I am researching this for the baby that was abandoned.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I think at the time it was Government offices and I'm wondering if this was known as Northern Rock House.
    See my earlier message. "Northern Rock House" would most probably have been occupied by the Northern Rock Building Society (as it then was). We have all heard of Northern Rock?

I can't recall Government Offices in Cheapside at that time. I can remember sites in Fountain House, Queens Road and near Reading Bridge.

Reputation beyond repute

On reflection, Fountain House wouldn't even have been built in 1965

Games workshop wasn't invented until the late 1970s and they didn't open any shops outside London until the late 1980s - I was in the games and roleplay retail business.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast