Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dixie

Yes I am contacting Northern Rock but they only became known as Northern Rock in 1965 and their head office is now in the north. I can't find any record of them being in Cheapside in Reading.

Dixie

I realise that Games Workshop was quite new but the doorway I am referring to was that end of Cheapside, very near to an old fashioned jewellers.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    I can't find any record of them being in Cheapside in Reading.
    Northern Rock Building Society
    Northern Rock Ho
    Cheapside

Reading 57438

Northern Rock House (caretaker)
    Cheapside
    Reading 54120

Source - 1968 Telephone Directory

Marie C..

Do you mean Bracher and Sydenham's the jewellers? Wasn't that in Station Rd(the road that lead from the station up to Broad St. Heelas was at the top?
    There were pictures of the baby in the local paper. Abandoned babies were always front page news as they hoped the mother would see him/her and come forward.
    Contact the Reading Mercury. They should have archives. Berks Family Hist. Society may also have them and may do you a look up. That should give the name of the finder of the baby.
    Thames Valley police would also have records somewhere.
    Marie

Dixie

Thanks for that info, I really appreciate it. I had been searching the internet and Northern Rocks web-site but could turn nothing up.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    Do you mean Bracher and Sydenham's the jewellers? Wasn't that in Station Rd(the road that lead from the station up to Broad St. Heelas was at the top?
    There were pictures of the baby in the local paper. Abandoned babies were always front page news as they hoped the mother would see him/her and come forward.
    Contact the Reading Mercury. They should have archives. Berks Family Hist. Society may also have them and may do you a look up. That should give the name of the finder of the baby.
    Thames Valley police would also have records somewhere.
    Marie
    Sorry I don't know the name of the jewellers. However I am going to pass all the info over to the person in question and hope that they can find more details about themself. It's been really helpful using the forum.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

There has been another reply on the reading forum:

Northern Rock house was on the opposite side of Cheapside to the Odeon, south of and adjacent to what was then the Co-op. At one time late, 60s perhaps, there was a semi-permanent newspaper kiosk outside. I think but am not certain that it housed the old borough Youth Employment Service and possibly some court-associated departments as well.

This means that the northern rock house building is still there . I don't think i am allowed to put link to a commercial maps site on , but will send it to you.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by mikejee View Post
    There has been another reply on the reading forum:

Northern Rock house was on the opposite side of Cheapside to the Odeon, south of and adjacent to what was then the Co-op. At one time late, 60s perhaps, there was a semi-permanent newspaper kiosk outside. I think but am not certain that it housed the old borough Youth Employment Service and possibly some court-associated departments as well.

This means that the northern rock house building is still there . I don't think i am allowed to put link to a commercial maps site on , but will send it to you.
    Thanks for that info. i have a knowledge of Cheapside in the 70's when the Co op were still there so I have a good idea of where you are saying Northern Rock was. Thanks very much for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12