Thread: Migration

mizztraveller

Default Migration

Where can I find lists of people who migrated overseas in the late 1800's? I don't know to which country or if it happened but I've lost some family members after 1881 and as other members of the family migrated to Canada and NZ, I wondered if that's why they've disappeared from the census and no death records can be found.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mizztraveller
    Where can I find lists of people who migrated overseas in the late 1800's? I don't know to which country or if it happened but I've lost some family members after 1881 and as other members of the family migrated to Canada and NZ.
    See this TNA research guide on passenger lists.

Board of Trade (BT) passenger lists from 1890 are available on the pay-poer-view site findmypast. Prior to then you might try (as mentioned by FInbar above) the place where the family landed, the problem of course being if you don't know where they went, where do you look?

Did any elderly relatives remain behind in the UK, die after they (possibly) emigrated and also leave a will? Where there are emigrant relations these are often mentioned; to the degree that you sometimes get full postal addresses used at the time the will was made. You can search for wills using the Probate Calendar, which is available on film at many county record offices (phone to check on availability and coverage and whether you need to reserve a film reader).