Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Confused by two marriages

According to the IGI Stephen Standley and Hannah Dudley were married at St Bartholomew, Wednesbury, Stafford on 10 Jan 1768. This is an extracted record.
    According to the IGI Stephen Standley and Hannah Dudley were married at St Bartholomew, Wednesbury, Stafford 03 Dec 1768. This is also an extracted record.
    I'm sure they didn't really marry twice, at either end of 1768. I suppose it is vaguely possible that they were two different couples but how can I possibly work out which is mine.
    They seemed to go on having children for years. The following were born to Stephen and Hannah Stanly/Stanley
    Zillah 1769; Hannah 1775; Charlotte 1780; Ann 1783; Adam 1789 and James 1792 (All extracted records and all baptised at John Street Presbyterian, Wolverhampton)
    Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome.
    Emeltee

Super Moderator

I had exactly the same with two of my ancestors.

They did actually marry twice.

We think that the first time they were both underage. This also happened in the 1700's

Thanks for that Sue. I hadn't thought about the under age factor.
    Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

Extracted records can be wrong. Bishops' transcripts can also be subject to transcription errors. I would recommend checking the parish register.

Thanks Peter. I would never presume and always check the originals where possible. Having seen what a garbled mess appears on some genealogy sites I never completely trust any transcription. I have done some transcribing in my time and I know how difficult it can be to read someone else's awful handwriting.
    Emeltee

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Extracted records can be wrong. Bishops' transcripts can also be subject to transcription errors. I would recommend checking the parish register.
    Yes, always check. But in this case, what you may have is the date of the marriage as it appeared in the register and the date of a copy of that register (either BTs) or a Clerk's copy. I have found discrepancies like this many times in Cheshire PRs where other copies were made. But in all cases you must see the original register (or its microfilm) if possible, and remember that mistakes could also occur at source. The clerk doing the copying up of a month's baptisms, may not have put the right dates.

Thanks Marian. I feel a visit to Wolverhampton is needed - along with all the other Record Offices on my list. I can't wait to retire in order to have the time!
    Emeltee

Super Moderator

I mentioned that I had the same problem with my gt. gt. gt grandparents marriage. It was the 1800's not 1700's as I originally said.

They had banns read at St Paul Deptford in May 1818 before marrying by licence in July at St. Botolph in the city. As they were both underage I guess this was annulled somhow so they married again in 1821 in St James, Piccadilly.