Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Elstone Yorkshire

Hi members, I have an entry on the 1871 census for a relation, birth Elstone Yorkshire, have googled it but cant really find out where it was in Yorkshire, it is making it hard for me to locate him on earlier and later census as there are a few with the same name and approx birth
    Cheers

Geoffers

It might become clear with the details of the entry, could you post the census reference for us please?

Have you looked at the original or a transcript?

Off the top of my head, could this be Alston, Allerston, Ellerton?

Nicolina

I had a similar problem with my 3xGreat Grandmother. Her place of birth was written as Ailstone, Yorkshire. It should have been Allerston, so possibly the Enumerators had problems understanding the accent.

Famous for offering help & advice

There's a Hilston in the East Riding - bear in mind that the Yorkshire accent generally drops an initial "H". Also, have a look at this page at GENUKI - you might find some ideas. Otherwise, what do other censuses give?

Arthur

Thanks for the replies members.
    Lancashire > Ardwick > District 27 > Page 20

John Ashworth-1822-Elstone Cheshire-wife Eliza Ashcroft nee Ravenscroft born 1849 Manchester
    Have looked at original page.

P.S.
    Cant give other census as that is the prob we have -trying to work out which John Ashworth we are looking at, this one with Eliza is the one we want, I have tried elimination but stll tring to work it out.

Geoffers

Mmmmmmmmm.........

Quote Originally Posted by valg
    I have an entry on the 1871 census for a relation, birth Elstone Yorkshire

John Ashworth-1822-Elstone Cheshire
    Trying to confuse us eh?

For anyone looking the original page is RG10/3979 f37 p20, Temple Street, Ardwick, Manchster.

With a young wife, he may have married twice - what does his marriage certificate record? Was he a widower? Does the certificate reord a father and if so, what was his occupation? Were there any ASHWORTH witnesses? - These may help to locate him in earlie census returns and so help you to more forward with your research.

Thank you for taking the time to look at the record..I dont as yet have a marriage cert, I will prob have to apply for one to go any further with this, was hoping to avoid the expense as at the end of the day Eliza and the 2 children they had appear to have all passed away with 2-3 yrs of census.
    Sorry about the vague info regarding source, not really to well up on that kind of thing, but now I know what to look for will make it easier next time.

Geoffers

Thank you for taking the time to look at the record..I dont as yet have a marriage cert, I will prob have to apply for one to go any further with this, was hoping to avoid the expense as at the end of the day Eliza and the 2 children they had appear to have all passed away with 2-3 yrs of census.
    It is tempting to try and plough ahead with just census returns and free online sites - but this can lead to mistakes and I hate to see others interested in family history wasting money and valuable time in trotting along the wrong path. Where civil registration certificates are available, they are pretty essential to try and ensure accurate research - although they do sometimes throw up information which annoyingly seems incorrect. Death certificates are the least useful - marriage and birth certificates provide a lot of information. I appreciate that it is an expense, but would enourage you to get the certificate - if you have children, their piggy banks are a good source to raid

Sorry about the vague info regarding source, not really to well up on that kind of thing, but now I know what to look for will make it easier next time.
    Each census reference is like an address in time.

The 1841 and 1851 census (class) reference is HO107

For 1861 the class reference is RG9
    1871 - RG10
    1881 - RG11
    1891 - RG12
    1901 - RG13
    1911 - RG14

Ignore 1911 for a minute

1841 will be followed by an oblique stroke HO107/ and then a number with up to four digits. It is slightly different from subsequent census returns as it is then followed by another oblique stroke and a number with up to two digits, which represent the book number. The book number is important. Several enumerators books were collected together into one larger volume. Each of the books was numbered.

After this every other page (the right hand page) has a number called the folio (f) number. Every page (p) is also numbered.

So an 1841 reference might be HO107/961/12 f32 p10

From 1851-1901 every census has its class reference followed by an oblique stroke and then the district number - e.g. RG9/2235

Each district consists of several enumerators books combined together, with each book having its pages numbered from 1 onwards. Once the books were combined, a folio number was added. So in any district there is only one series of folio numbers, but several books, each with a page 1, page 2, etc. The folio is important to help distinguish the page within a district (collection of enumerators' books)

So a census reference might be RG9/2235 f11 p20

This tells you when the census was taken, the district, the folio within a district and the page on which an entry occurs. You can narrow down things further by including the schedule number, but this is not essential.

I hope that makes sense but if not, please ask.

1911 is different. The class reference is RG14. It is followed by an oblique stroke and then the piece number which can consist of up to five digits.
    From all the rest that appears on the 1911 census reference, you just need the final SN (Schedule Number).

Thanks for that, yes makes sense, I will have to get marraige cert if I want to go any further on John, I know they are vital, and I have applied for lots while on my research,Eliza and both children died within 3 yrs of the marriage so I guess that line finished with them, children to a previous marriage to John if any really have no direct relationship to the family line.
    many Thanks ..