Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Default William John Mayhew - Grenadier Guards

This young man was born in Fulham on 7 Jun 1894. I have found him on the 1911 Census at Blenheim Barracks in Aldershot where he is listed as William Mayhew, a Drummer in the 2nd Btn Grenadier Guards.

There the trail ends... I have scoured everywhere I can think of, including the usual death registers, the CWGC register and thegrenadierguards.co.uk but he seems to have just vanished...

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by N@alie
    This young man was born in Fulham on 7 Jun 1894. I have found him on the 1911 Census at Blenheim Barracks in Aldershot where he is listed as William Mayhew, a Drummer in the 2nd Btn Grenadier Guards.
    This page of the Guards Museum web-site indicates where to try for your chap's service record. A service record should answer most basic questions you have.

Any trace of him having emigrated after completing service in the army? (Try the BT passenger lists on findmypast)

Did his dad leave a will in which he mentions him?

Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Thank you Geoffers, I will write to the RHQ next week as you suggest. I''ve not found him on any passenger lists yet, but will keep trying as that is a possibility. I am not aware of his dad leaving any will (they were poor as church mice).

daggers

There is a WW1 medal index card Private William C.M.Mayhew, Grenadier Guards and G.Gds Machine Gun Regiment, available online via Anc...y [free] or for £2 online at the National Archives. Can't see another likely candidate.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by daggers
    There is a WW1 medal index card Private William C.M.Mayhew......available online via Anc...y [free]
    Well 'free' if you've already paid for a subscription to the site.