LancsLass

Default Internet Archive help with downloading

Hi Everyone

I have previously downloaded some really useful things from the Internet Archive into pdf form but it seems to have changed recently - or I am doing something really daft.

I am trying to download one of the publications from the Lancs Parish Record Society they have been uploaded by Google Books and I just can't get a pdf. To make matters worse the on-line reading view doesn't seem to load either and I have tried over a couple of days.

Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong. The on-line help simply says right click and use save link as but that just gives an HTML web view.

Sorry this post is probably in the wrong place but I couldn't think of a better one.

Many thanks as ever

MarkJ

Is it not the case that Google Books and the Internet Archive are two seperate things?

Perhaps the files are not available? I remember finding something I was interested in on Google Books - which gave me the impression that the item was available for download, but upon trying to download it, I ended up in the same situation as you.

Just a thought... perhaps others may have more suggestions.

Mark

The Internet Archive I used is a snap shot of web pages taken when a site is changed. It used to trawl the www, but I believe nowadays it will only trawl sites that has been requested.
    I have just viewed the site and some items are there in book format (not Google but their own). It must have been one of those that you where viewing. To save as a pdf, you will need a pdf printer installed and then right click the image and select your pdf printer.

MarkJ

It was the Google Books reference which I assume is the issue. IA has not been a problem for me.

Mark

MarkJ

Ah. I thought IA, along with Microsoft, the US government and various other bodies are all opposing the digitisation of books by Google?

Confused of Cornwall

LancsLass

I have managed to get the book I wanted. So huge thanks for a solution - big question is whether the records in question have any of the years I am missing.

However, I am glad to see I wasn't completely daft. The books I downloaded before had not been uploaded by Google and you can still pick them up into pdf from the front page. It is the Google ized books that go into a loop and don't even load well enough to use Neil's suggestion of saving to pdf via the printer.

Thanks to all for your input

Very quick off the mark.

Thanks, LancsLass, for starting this thread.

I had forgotten about Internet Archive but prompted by your thread I had a look.

I found a full page obituary from the BMJ for my husband's G G Uncle. Not only did it have a picture of him, but there was mention of a child I didn't know about.

Nice one.

Regards,

maggie