Shannon

Default Birth cert. querie for Stafford & Derby pls?

Are both these place the same please? I have an entry of birth for an illigitamate child. This is for the year 1849. Under signature and residence etc. it is typed "X" the Mark of Ellen Calladine and under her name it says THURVASTON.
    Does anyone know if this was an unwed mother's place please? The birth took place in TUTBURY.

Thank you very much if you can help me understand this.

Shannon

THURVASTON was a township within the parish of Sutton on the Hill. Nowadays it is a village, so small that it isn't on some maps!

pottoka

There is a site called curious fox (curious fox dot com) where you can go and type in the name of a village in the U.K., and, if it exists, it will find entries written by people looking for ancestors in that village. You can also look up other villages or town within one to ten kilometres of the village you wanted.

If there are no entries for the village you're looking for, you'll get entries for surrounding villages. It allows you to place a village, and there are old maps as well.

Shannon

Default Finding a place

thank you all for taking the time to help me with this situation. I am using all your information.

Thanks again.

Shannon

pottoka

Smile Share and share alike

That's what Brit-Gen is all about, Shannon. Someone helps you, you help someone else who helps another person and so it goes on. It's a big circle. And here it's a big circle of friends, too