Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default Axminster Carpet Works

Can anybody tell me anything about the Axminster carpet works in Woverley or there abouts. Is it still there? Was it an offshoot of the carpets from Axminster itself?

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Carpets

Hi Sue,
    As far as I know, the term Axminster carpets is applied to carpets made in the style of the Axminster carpets originating from Axminster. There was a lot of carpet manufacturing in the Wolverton area and at one point the owner of Franche Hall in Wolverley was chairman of the Axminster Carpet Association. I'm sure google would probably produce some results for you on the history of carpet manufacturing in the area.
    Hope that's some help
    Carol

Reputation beyond repute

There are still companies in the Kidderminster area making 'Axminster' carpets. Sometimes it seems to written 'axminster' presumably to underline that it's referring to the type rather than the place which gave the type its name.

jimmy1010

I have lived in Kidderminster all my life and I don't recall anyone referring to carpet factories in Wolverley, the factories were in Kidderminster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axminster

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Thank you for that.
    I can only assume that my rellies commuted.
    Sue

chrisann

I believe the carpet factory in Kidderminster was Brintons, my dad worked there till 1959 when we left Kidderminster. Bruntons used to make axminster carpets, I think the name may have changed some time later.?? not 100% sure though. cheers chrisann
    Last edited by chrisann; 03-06-2011 at 2:20 AM. Reason: oops...put wrong name in