Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ewan

Default Who Lived at this Address?

Can anyone help please if they don't mind?

I have an address, 49 Gloucester Street London and I am trying to find out who lived there in 1881 and in 1891.

Many thanks for help.
    Ewan

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

I can't see a Gloucester Street on the 1881 census in any part of London - do you know specifically which part of city?

Reputation beyond repute

I can find references to plenty of Gloucester Streets. Which one?

The 1881 census transcription is free of charge.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I can't see a Gloucester Street on the 1881 census in any part of London - do you know specifically which part of city?
    Jonesy, don't forget that sometimes Street gets abbreviated to 'St', and if you search for the shortened form then you do get several results, as Peter says.

Ewan - also as Peter says, the 1881 transcript is free to view, even on FMP, which has an easy address search facility.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

From the 1881 census, there appear to be instances of 49 Gloucester Street in the parishes of St George the Martyr, Lambeth and St George Hanover Square.

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Jonesy, don't forget that sometimes Street gets abbreviated to 'St', and if you search for the shortened form then you do get several results, as Peter says.
    Good point. I'm still learning!

ewan

Spot on Peter thanks, the Gloucester Street I am looking for is in the parish of St George the Martyr, near Great Ormond Street Hospital I think.

Yesterday I did an index search but could not find the street, I did put St instead and other variations of the name but with no luck.

I didn't think there were any transcripts to view on familysearch, I may be wrong, Pam are you referring to one of the other sites? Hold on, I have just found the transcripts for another address on fmp, I'll keep trying now to locate the Gloucester Street address.

Thank you for all your suggestions and help

Ewan

If this is the full address, then I have found it.
    49, Gloucester St, St Andrew Holborn Above The Bars And St George The Martyr

Reputation beyond repute

On Ancestry, county=London, address=49 gloucester st (no wild card) finds it. Between the free indexes on Ancestry and FMP and the FamilySearch transcription, you should find what you need.

The 1881 transcription on FamilySearch used to be the only one online!!!!

ewan

Thanks Peter, I have now found it on fmp, I have just gone into familysearch and I cannot see where you can do an address search. I am aware that the 1881 used to be the only one online, apart from travelling the country what did we do before that I wonder!!

Reputation beyond repute

I have just gone into familysearch and I cannot see where you can do an address search
    You can't. You need a name, which you can get from one of the other indexes.

Using two or more indexes can be useful in many circumstances. The free 1911 indexes can help to locate records in the unindexed part of Ancestry's 1911 census.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast