Prue Gore

Smile NEWPORT'S GARDEN- POPLAR, MDX

JOHN BAKER. Painter, died on 26th Aug,1841 at NEWPORT'S GARDEN, North Street, Poplar. ANN BAKER, also of this address was in attendance.

Anyone heard of this place? I guess it was residential and like a block of flats.

I note an Upper North Street, Poplar is on the current map. I have done an address search on the 1841 Census, but no Newports Garden appears.

Many thanks,
    Prue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As with your other query on Featherstone's Buildings, it's wise to search without the possessive 's.
    In this case Newport Garden in 1841 is HO107/702 book 5 folio 18 page 29, and a BAKER family appears to be in residence.

If street indexing on FMP or another commercial site doesn't throw up what you need, look at the National Archives' official street index to 1841 and 1851.

Kerrywood
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 16-09-2009 at 1:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Prue Gore

Smile NEWPORT GARDEN

Thankyou... you kind people are so obliging & helpful. This has opened up another possible (& headache!) branch of the BAKER family. I thought all JOHN BAKER'S (my g-g-g-grandfather) children had come to Australia in 1840, but this family at Newport Garden, Poplar in 1841 could be that of another child, or his brother's children. Then, we should never presume, should we.

May I ask what does FMP stand for?

Prue Gore in Tasmania

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Prue Gore View Post
    May I ask what does FMP stand for?
    Sorry, it's Find My Past, a paysite which allows census searches by address as well as name.

Kerrywood

Prue Gore

Smile NEWPORT GARDEN

Yes, I should have thought a bit harder! I have a subscription to FMP and Ancestry-UK

Prue Gore

QueSera

Quote Originally Posted by Prue Gore View Post
    JOHN BAKER. Painter, died on 26th Aug,1841 at NEWPORT'S GARDEN, North Street, Poplar. ANN BAKER, also of this address was in attendance.

Anyone heard of this place? I guess it was residential and like a block of flats.

I note an Upper North Street, Poplar is on the current map. I have done an address search on the 1841 Census, but no Newports Garden appears.

Many thanks,
    Prue
    "Cross's New Plan of London 1850" on MAPCO shows North Street to extent slightly further south than the current street to include what is now Saltwell Street. Looking at the 1850 map there doesn't appear to be that many buildings. According to Ancestory (East India Road - North side - Newport Gardens - HO 107/1556) it appears to be on the north side of East India (Dock) Road, so perhaps it's the building showing on the junction.
    Last edited by Mutley; 19-09-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Prue Gore

Smile NEWPORT GARDEN

This is a terrific map showing streets & buildings and so yes, Newport Gardens must have been near the junction. Not a lot of buiding activity had taken place between 1841 & 1850. If only Google maps had been around then!
    Thanks...Prue

johnsharp65

John Baker had a son George Baker who was my GGG Grandfather on my Mother's side.
    John Baker died at Newport Gdns which was the home of his son George Baker
    Are you related in any way?