Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    petraroe

Default Trouble finding anything on Nan

Hi

I haven't been at this very long but I have found one side of the family so much easier to trace than the other. The main problem I have encountered so far is my paternal Grandmother.

The only information I can find is on her birth, marriage and death, but only the bare bones.

I recently spoke to my Aunt (her daughter) who shared the information that name was illegitimate / born out of wedlock (she used both terms) but I am unsure if her parents married at a later date or if she was adopted (either entirely or if Great Nan married someone else after)

The biggest problem is trying to find anything on her birth that will point me in the right direction.

The information I have is that she was registered as Charlotte Waddingham, born in June 1909 in Gainsborough, the only register i have found that shows her birth does not give mothers maiden name.

I have found mention of her marriage to my Grandad Robert William Handley and it lists her maiden name as Waddingham but I do not know if this was her mothers name, fathers name or both.

Unfortunately my father knows very little about his family, says he never new his grandparents and one Aunt won't speak about it at all as she thinks it is a scandal that Nan was illigitimate. I am hoping my other Aunt may be able to shed a little more light but as I am in Southampton and she is in Lincolnshire, it is not the easiest of things to discuss.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really have no clue on where to try as I have only been at this a month or so. Not throwing up my hands in defete just yet but hoping someone with a little more experience may be able to help.

Thank you
    Petra

Astoria

Default Hi Petra

The information I have is that she was registered as Charlotte Waddingham, born in June 1909 in Gainsborough, the only register i have found that shows her birth does not give mothers maiden name.
    Births Jun 1909
    Waddingham Charlotte - Gainsbro' 7a 732

Is this the birth certificate you have or are you working from a baptism or IGI entry?

Who is named as the father?

Mutley

Hello Petra and welcome to the forum.

For the time frame you are searching in, you will not find lots of information, unless they were well known for some reason.

The 1911 census or the birth, marriage and death certificates are all you are likely to get.

The certificates will give you more information, the indexes do not tell you anything. Mother's maiden names are not listed in the indexes before 1912 but will be on the certificates.

Marie C..

She is there on the 1911 census aged2 living in Gainsborough Lincolnshire... but I am sadly out of credits and cannot view details. Her parents should be on there living at same address or if her mother was unwed then Charlotte will be with her mother and maybe her grandparents?

Her birth cert obtainable from GRO quoting the GRO number will give you her mothers name and address at birth. With luck the father's name may be on it.
    Once you have her mother's age(from 1911 census) then you will be able to go backwards to find the mother's birth and then obtaining that cert will give you Charlotte's grandfather's name and occupation. Marie

Keyboard86

Hi Petra, had some credits left, so here she is:-

William B Waddingham aged 45 born Sleaford Lincs Married 3 years
    Sarah aged 28 born Barn Lincs Wife
    Marjorie aged 3 born Lincoln
    Charlotte aged 2 born Gainsborough

living at 4 Woods Terrace
    in Marsh Road
    Gainsborough

Hope this helps
    Keyboard86
    Last edited by Keyboard86; 15-09-2009 at 5:13 PM. Reason: add wife

Astoria

Using Nicholina's 'other people in the household search tip'

This could be the rest of the family,

Ada 1875 - 36
    Eliza 1907 - 4
    Henry 1901 - 10
    John William 1899 - 12
    R Waddingham 1908 - 3
    William 1868 - 43

Any of them sound familiar Petra?

EDIT. I see Keyboard has come up with the goods, though the above folk could be related.
    Last edited by Astoria; 15-09-2009 at 5:15 PM. Reason: addition

Nicolina

I've searched the 1911 Census for WADDINGHAMs living with Charlotte and got:
    WADDINGHAM WILLIAM B M 1866 45 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM WILLIAM M 1868 43 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM ADA F 1875 36 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM SARAH F 1883 28 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM JOHN WILLIAM M 1899 12 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM HENRY M 1901 10 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM ELIZA F 1907 4 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM MARJORIE F 1908 3 Gainsborough Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM R M 1908 3 Gainsborough Lincolnshire

Charlotte's entry reads:
    WADDINGHAM CHARLOTTE F 1909 2 Gainsborough Lincolnshire

I would advise checking the 1901 Census for the older WADDINGHAMs and see what the relationships are

Nicolina

a check for Ada on the 1901 Census gives:
    RG13/3113/69 Page 35
    37, Melrose Road, Gainsborough
    WADDINGHAM, William Head Married M 33 1868 Ship Rivetter b. Grimsby, Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM, Ada Wife Married F 25 1876 b. Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM, Mary Harriet Daughter F 6 1895 b. Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM, Charlotte Ethel Daughter F 4 1897 b. Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM, John William Son M 2 1899 b. Gainsborough, Lincolnshire
    WADDINGHAM, Henry Son M 1 1900 b. Gainsborough, Lincolnshire

I don't know who the other William is, or Sarah.

Marie C..

On 1901 census William Waddenham aged 33 a ship's rivetter has a wife Ada and various children(Mary Harriet,6 , Charlotte Ethel4, John William 2 and Henry1.
    I do not think these are yours but maybe relations. There would not be two Charlotte's unless one died and yours is Charlotte F anyway.
    There is a marriage of a Charlotte Waddenham to a Robert Handley in Lincoln in 1927(but this may be Charlotte E). Marie

Keyboard86

Hi Petra there is a marriage of a William Waddingham in Gainsborough in Dec qtr1895 on same page is a Ada Sharpe ref 7a 1444

Hope this helps
    Keyboard86
    Last edited by Keyboard86; 15-09-2009 at 5:48 PM. Reason: add year!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast