LittleMissP

Default WW2 war diaries?

I'm trying to find war diaries relating to WW2 but have gone round in circles looking at TNA's website. Perhaps they are not available yet? I'm specifically trying to find out about the 4th Royal Norfolks, 18 division and already know they were captured when Singapore fell to the Japanese in Feb 1942, but trying to seek out more detail both before and after.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paula

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Try reading this Research Guide, especially para. 5 Unit War Diaries.

That leads you to this item in the catalogue, which may help. It's the only item I could find specifying that particular unit, but there may be other relevant material elsewhere in the series WO.

Kerrywood

SueNSW

The second link Kerrywood gave does appear to be all that is available - this paragraph from the scope and contents section of the full details for series WO172 possibly helps to explain why

Due to enemy action in Malaya and Hong Kong, many of the original war diaries were lost for the period 1939 to 1942, but, for the majority of formations and units, diaries were produced in narrative form at a later date, and these are included.

The chaos of the last days before Singapore fell must have made it extremely difficult to keep records and then get them back to England - from memory the 18th Division was only in Singapore for 2 weeks before it fell. It would presumably not have been an option to keep a war diary as POW's

The Regiment has a museum in Norwich - https://www.rnrm.org.uk/index.html

and this site is excellent for background to the fall of Singapore and the POW experience - https://www.cofepow.org.uk/index.html

This page on the Battalion specifically might be of particular interest

https://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/arme...r_norfolk.html

There's been plenty of books written about the Battle for Singapore and the general POW experience in the Far East - so these might help you fill in some of the pieces you are looking for

Good Luck

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

I have seen the 4th Royal Norfolk Diaries at TNA Kew for there time in the UK before leaving for the Far East.

They were a local TA Battalion, my Uncle moved from a Regular Battalion to the 4th in 1940 and sadly died while they were laying mines in the Great Yarmouth area as a anti-invasion measure in July 1940.

Keith

Just to add to the above.

The Royal Norfolk still have a Regimental Journal, The Britannia and Castle, I found them most helpful.

https://www.norfolkbc.fsnet.co.uk/

Keith

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMisP
    specifically trying to find out about the 4th Royal Norfolks, 18 division
    Quote Originally Posted by keith9351
    I have seen the 4th Royal Norfolk Diaries at TNA Kew for there time in the UK before leaving for the Far East.
    Searching TNA's catalogue shows only this War Diary for 4th Norfolk
    covering Oct-Dec 1941.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissP View Post
    I'm trying to find war diaries relating to WW2 but have gone round in circles looking at TNA's website. Perhaps they are not available yet? I'm specifically trying to find out about the 4th Royal Norfolks, 18 division and already know they were captured when Singapore fell to the Japanese in Feb 1942, but trying to seek out more detail both before and after.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paula
    Have you tried a search of the Imperial War Museum online catalogue?
    My uncle deposited his POW diary with them and it seems likely they will have others.
    Worth a try!

Auburn

Auburn

Geoffers there in WO 166/4559

Scope and content

4 Royal Norfolk Regiment
    Covering dates 1939 Sept.- 1941 Sept.

Keith

LittleMissP

Thank you to everyone who's helped me here, some interesting links to follow and I'm now waiting for another book to come through too! What I'm wondering now is how my grandfather (Walter Pheby), who was obviously conscripted into service (as he was 20/21 in 1940), would come to be in a Norfolk regiment and not a London one where he was born and lived?

Thanks again