Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LittleMissP

Quote Originally Posted by Jan65 View Post
    Thank you very much for your help Geoffers. Shame I could no longer order online, never mind! I'll look at the Research and Learning section and see what comes of that. I would love to find out more if it's not too expensive.

Many thanks!
    Jan, I'm going off to TNA on Wednesday to look at these exact same records for my grandfather so would be happy to have a look for you too at the same time.

Paula

Jan65

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy600 View Post
    Hi Jan,
    I had a look at the National Archives site under 'Independant Researchers' which is under the TNA research blurb. Choose the subject POW's etc and that came up with a list of researchers who go the TNA. Some of them had websites which list their fees etc. Definitely not as expensive as the TNA! I am tempted - it would be great to find an interview.
    Karen
    Hi Karen thank you for this, fortunately someone has very kindly offered to do a look up for me on a visit to TNA, which I'm so chuffed about as you can imagine! Hope you have similar good fortune for your own research!

Best wishes.

Jan

Jan65

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissP View Post
    Jan, I'm going off to TNA on Wednesday to look at these exact same records for my grandfather so would be happy to have a look for you too at the same time.

Paula
    Thank you so much for your offer - I'm sorry I'm late in replying, my dad has been ill and I've been offline for a couple of days. Unfortunately I've obviously missed the boat now, with it being Wednesday today, but fortunately for me someone else had already kindly agreed to do the very same for me, so am keeping my fingers crossed that something will turn up.

Once again, thanks very much for your kind offer, it's really appreciated.

Best wishes.

Jan

LittleMissP

Jan, I've found George Gott's POW registration card (if that is what they're called) and will PM you with the details. Unfortunately I couldn't find him in the liberation questionnaires.

Paula

Christinad

Quote Originally Posted by Jan65 View Post
    My great uncle George, a private in the army, was posted missing on 15 February 1942, and sometime after 12 October 1942 it was confirmed that he was a prisoner of war in Singapore "in a camp unstated". He was in the Cambridgeshire Regiment.

He never spoke to me personally about his experiences as a POW, so all I have to go on is a few family documents (where I got the above dates from) and the information that my dad, his nephew, has told me over the years.

Dad reckons that George was involved in building the "death railway", which I confess to knowing very little about, so after a google search I've discovered that this was the Burma-Thailand Railway, and have read some harrowing tales.

What I would like to know is - from the information that have regarding dates, location and regiment, does anyone know whether it's feasible that my uncle WAS actually involved in this?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.
    Hi, My dad was also a POW and said he worked on the Death Railway. He too didn't say much about the treatment meted out by the Japs. So look at it this way- why would your uncle lie about such a thing ? Reply given by Geoffers is correct. All the prisoners had to fill up a form before being released. If you can get this from the records in London, you'll see which camp he was in and from there trace out if people from that camp worked on the railway. Not all of them were in Changi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123