Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    esdel

Default Hanky Panky in the Sproule Family?

Benjamin J Sproule, born 1811 at Whitehaven, became a wealthy ship owner
    His official wife is Ann Frances who in the 1851 Census Shildon, Durham says "age 32 born Caldbeck, Cumberland"
    But by the 1861 Census Whiteheam, Cumberland she has changed her mind "age 50 born Workington, Cumberland"

There are 4 Sproule sons, all of whom arrived suddenly as fully grown mariners and were said to be born "in the China Seas":
    They are:
    Benjamin C Sproule 1841
    Richard P Sproule 1840
    Henry F Sproule 1848
    William B Sproule 1850

How can we find out a little bit more about this

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a Benjamin C Sproule aged 9 as a pupil at Masham Hall Academy in 1851 (also a Richard Sproule aged 10) HO 107/2393

Forgot to add, whilst Benjamin's place of birth is unknown, Richard's is Valparaiso. Another exotic birthplace - possibly same family?

Sorry -a bit slow this morning - didn't see Richard in your list. Now obviously same family

Quote Originally Posted by esdel View Post
    There are 4 Sproule sons, all of whom arrived suddenly as fully grown mariners and were said to be born "in the China Seas":
    In fact this is the given birthplace of only one of the sons in 1861

Richard P (20) was born in Valparaiso
    Benjamin C (19) was born in Wallasey, Cheshire
    Henry F(T?) (12) was born at sea, Chinese waters
    William B (10) was born in Shildon, Co. Durham

I have looked in the overseas marine births but can only see
    SPROULE (male) p.132 in the Index to Misc Marine Births 1837-1862, but no date given.

Do you have Benjamin Senior's marriage to Ann? There is a marriage for a Benjamin SPROULE in Wirrall, Cheshire June qtr 1839 Vol 19 page 293 but there are only two males and one female listed on the page in the Ancestry index, with the female not being Ann.

I have found a crew list on Ancestry for the Quito (out of Liverpool) sailing from Calcutta to Sydney in 1858. On board as a crew member is Benjamin Charles SPROULE, an apprentice.

I looked on the IGI with various exotic regions highlighted to see if I could find any overseas baptisms. Couldn't find any children of Benjamin (though I didn't look too closely at the oodles of hits for SPROULE in Australia!!) but in case it links to your family I found the following baptism under Asia.

Charlotte Anne SPROULE, daughter of Samuel SPROULE and Margaret MADDEN, born 30 Nov 1836 and baptised 9 Dec 1836 in Bombay Maharashtra (extracted entry)
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Benjamin Charles SPROULE birth registered Wirral, Cheshire Sep qtr 1841 19/325

William Bouch SPROULE birth registered Auckland Durham Mar qtr 1851 24/13
    Sue Mackay

Aha! There is a marriage listed June qtr 1839 in Wirrall Cheshire for Anne Frances BOUCH. There are three women and one male listed on the page. What is the betting that she actually married Benjamin SPROULE? That would explain William's middle name.
    Sue Mackay

There is a strange census entry in 1871 in Oxton, Birkenhead.
    RG10; Piece: 3752; Folio: 79; Page: 5

William Bouch SPROULE appears aged 20, born Shildon Co.Durham, working as a clerk in a ship broker's office. So far so good. Just above him is 25 year old Ellen Jane SPROULE, born Low Hale, Cumberland. She is described as 'daur' and he is described as 'son', yet they seem to be in a household on their own?

Ellen Jane SPROULE's birth was registered in Whitehaven, Cumbria Mar qtr 1846 25/155
    Sue Mackay

JAP1

Good thinking, Sue! There's a marriage for Benjamin SPROULE, Jun qtr 1839, Wirral, 19/293 - and an annotation that the page number doesn't fit.

Obviously an initial transcription error (yes, it does say 293 on the typed Index).

JAP
    Sorry - you had already twigged that!!

esdel

Wow, you gals have been busy. Thanks a zillion!
    I have commanded ye olde brain to get a grip today and not just get confused!
    May take a few days though.

But for example, who was the Mother of the chap born in Valparaiso.
    Were the "on board" wives of ship owners often the "back in England" ones?
    I know wives were treated bad those days but did they have to accept "sudden appeareacs back home of already grown up sons"?
    Maybe life today really IS better!
    Or perhaps not- the same!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast