Thread: Steedman/Burnet

ozzy1945

Angry Steedman/Burnet

I am trying to find the marrage of Alexander Steedman and Elizabeth Burnet. They lived in Westgate North Berwick in 1851 census. They had eight children, one being my G,G Grandfather born 1847.
    Alexander was a Revenue Officer. I cant find his marrage, someone said that he might have married in England as he was a Inland Revenue Officer,I still cant find it.Is it possible that it was not compulsory to record marriages ect, before 1855 ? I would appreciate any help thank you.

Ozzy

David Sherriff

I assume that you know that statutory registration of BMD's did not start before 1855 in Scotland. For events in Scotland before that date, you will need to look in the Old Parish Registers, ie The Church of Scotland records. The Church took a VERY dim view of living in sin and fornication!! Considering his job, I think that he will have been married.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default How about STEDMAN and BURNETT?

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy1945
    I am trying to find the marrage of Alexander Steedman and Elizabeth Burnet. They lived in Westgate North Berwick in 1851 census. They had eight children, one being my G,G Grandfather born 1847.
    Alexander was a Revenue Officer. I cant find his marrage, someone said that he might have married in England as he was a Inland Revenue Officer,I still cant find it.Is it possible that it was not compulsory to record marriages ect, before 1855 ? I would appreciate any help thank you.

Ozzy
    Ozzy,

Have you looked in the IGI? There's an entry for the following marriage:

Alexander STEDMAN and Elizabeth BURNETT
    29 April 1832
    Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England
    Batch # M107481

Trish

ozzy1945

Smile

Hi Trish,
    I have looked at the IGI and yes there it is spelt Stedman. Many thanks for that, now all I have to do is get hold of the certificate.
    Many thanks for your help.

Ozzy
    Last edited by ozzy1945; 08-03-2005 at 12:41 PM.

ozzy1945

Thumbs up

Many thanks to all for your input. I have now managed to get hold of a copy of the Parish Records and yes they got married in Holly-Trinity Kingston-upon-Hull, April 29 1832.

Thanks
    Last edited by ozzy1945; 25-04-2005 at 1:24 PM.