Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ipod1608
    His name was William James Wilson and he was on HMS Persian in 1861. He joined up sometime between 1851 and 1861 (mmm so before 1853 or after...?!).
    I see from the 1861 census entry (RG9/4437 f176 p3) that James WILSON, Captn Main Top, was aged 27 and recorded as born in Gosport.

Looking at TNA's documents online there is this entry for James WILSON - I appreciate that the birthplace here is shown as Portsmouth; but the recorded birthplace is not always accurately recorded. Whether or not you consider chancing £3.50 is a decision only you can make, but if the record shows him as being on Persian in 1861 then I think you could say that you have a match.

Ipod1608

Hi Geoffers

Thanks for that - I will look at that too.

I downloaded what I thought was William James's service records last week. £8.50. First of all digital express sent me the wrong service records (i.e a completely different bloke!) and then when they did send the "right" ones - it turned out it had been indexed wrong. It said he was from Hampshire but actually it was Hertfordshire.

Still trying to get my money back - so I will go to Kew because in the end it will be cheaper!!!

But thanks to everyone for helping me. Plus I am very interested to look what a Ship's Description book looks like anyway!!

Marie

neil1821

RN ranks & ratings 1853:
    Officers:
    Captain, Commander, Lieutenant, Master, Chaplain, Medical Inspector, Surgeon, Paymaster, Clerk in Charge, Mate (Sub-Lt from 1861), Assistant Surgeon, Second Master

Subordinate Officers
    Naval Instructor, Midshipman, Master's Assistant, Clerk, Clerk's Assistant, Naval Cadet

Warrant Officers
    Gunner, Boatswain, Carpenter, Inspector of Machinery, Chief Engineer (1st to 3rd class), Assistant Engineer (1st to 3rd class)

Chief Petty Officers
    Master-at-Arms, Chief Gunner's Mate, Chief Boatwain's Mate, Chief Captain of the Forecastle, Admiral's Coxswain, Chief QuarterMaster, Chief Carpenter's Mate, Seaman's Schoolmaster, Ship's Steward, Ship's Cook

1st Class Petty Officers
    Ship's Corporal, Gunner's Mate, Boastwain's Mate, Captain's Coxswain, Captain of the Forecastle, Quarter Master, Coxswain of the Launch, Captain of the Main Top, Captain of the Fore Top, Captain of the Afterguard, Captain of the Hold, Sailmaker, Ropemaker, Carpenter's Mate, Caulker, Blacksmith, Leading Stoker

2nd Class Petty Officers
    Coxswain of the Barge, Coxswain of the Pinnace, Captain of the Mast, 2nd Captain of the Forecastle, 2nd Captain of the Main Top, 2nd Captain of the Fore Top, Yeoman of the Signals, 2nd Captain of the Afterguard, Captain of the Mizzen Top, Sailmaker's Mate, Coxswain of the Cutter, Cooper, Armourer, Caulker's Mate, Musician, Head Krooman

Leading Rate and below
    Leading Seaman, Shipwright, Yeoman of Storerooms, 2nd Captain of the Hold, Painter, Sailmaker's Crew, Blacksmith's Mate, Armourer's Crew, Carpenter's Crew, Cooper's Crew, Stoker/Coat Trimmer, Able Seaman, Sick Berth Attendant, Bandman, Tailor, Butcher, 2nd Head Krooman, Flag Officer's Domestic, Captain's Steward, Captain's Cook, Ward/Gun Room Steward, Ward/Gun Room Cook, Ship's Steward's Assistant, Secretary's Servant, Subordinate Officer's Steward, Subordinate Officer's Cook, Ordinary Seaman, Cook's Mate, Barber, 2nd Class Ordinary Seaman, Commander's Servant, Krooman, Ship's Steward's Boy, Bot 1st Class, Boy 2nd Class

As you can see from the above, Capt Main Top ranked as a Petty Officer 1st Class.

LynA

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by neil1821 View Post
    RN ranks & ratings 1853:
    1st Class Petty Officers
    Ship's Corporal, Gunner's Mate, Boastwain's Mate, Captain's Coxswain, Captain of the Forecastle, Quarter Master, Coxswain of the Launch, Captain of the Main Top, Captain of the Fore Top, Captain of the Afterguard, Captain of the Hold, Sailmaker, Ropemaker, Carpenter's Mate, Caulker, Blacksmith, Leading Stoker
    As you can see from the above, Capt Main Top ranked as a Petty Officer 1st Class.
    Many thanks for that list. It's the clearest I've seen. I'll be keeping a note of it for my naval ancestors.

Lynda

Ipod1608

Hi everyone

Just wanted to update you regarding my visit to Kew at the weekend.

I did find James Wilson's certificate of service record - and Geoffers you were right it was the same one you picked out.

It was great though to see the original desciption order books - especially when he joined his first ship HMS Victory in 1851 as a first class boy.

I looked through some other d.o. books he had been on and one mentioned his receipt of the baltic medal. So it was great to see what a great all round character he was.

It's nice to download things - but better to smell and feel the originals!!

Thanks again

Marie

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Marie

It's great to hear that you had such success at the NA. Can I ask what ship he was on when awarded the Baltic Medal?

Martin

Ipod1608

Hi Martin

I'm not sure which ship exactly because he had a cross over period during 1854.

At the start of 1854 he was on HMS Dauntless and then joined HMS Termagant later that year. He was on Termagant for three years so I suspect it was most likely the latter.

Marie

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Marie

I've checked the medal roll and James Wilson, Ord 2nd Class, Ships No.74 is shown on the roll for HMS Dauntless, with his medal being sent to HMS Termagant on 18/9/57. Both of these ships were part of the Baltic Fleet, but only during the 1854 campaign season.

Regards

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12