Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ne'e

Letrell

Default ne'e

"George Fox md Margaret Fell ne'e Askew"

Does anyone know what this means. Our line has been "stuck" for many years...dozens of researchers attempting to find one person....listed in a register Skew/Askew/Skute as a last name. ne'e was listed in Wikopedia under a bio of George Fox. His wife's name was actually Margaret Fell.

nee...the ' is actually an accent mark over the first e.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks so much.

Letrell

Thomasin

It means that Margaret Fell's name was originally Askew, the name she was born with.

Thomasin

Lizzy9

I would imagine she was Margeret Fell nee Askew, ie born Askew married a man named Fell and George Fox was her second husband.

Thomasin

Margaret was the widow of Thomas Fell, and married George Fox in 1669.

FamilySearch gives wildly differing dates for her birth and first marriage, all submitted entries.

Thomasin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_and_maiden_names
    In fact since men usually keep their birth names the masculine form is seldom seen. I can think of one example in my (extended) family history where the use of the masculine form would have been appropriate. Thomas Winsloe assumed the name and arms of Phillipps and inherited the Phillipps estates from his great uncle
    hth

Lizzy9

You may find this interesting, letrell.

https://www.pinn.net/~sunshine/march99/fox4.html

Lizzy9

Below are christenings taken from the igi (extracted from parish registers) all had father Thomas Fell, and were christened in Warton near Lancaster

JANE FELL - 1649
    MARIA FELL -1642
    ELIZ. FELL - 1640
    JOHN FELL - 1645
    WILL. FELL - 1653
    AGNES FELL -1647

pottoka

Talking Showing off

Just to show off, because I've got a computer with the right accents ...

My husband, being of the masculine half of the race (he can't help it, poor love) was (born) Smith. I was née Jones and I get an extra 'e' to show that I'm of the fairer sex. Having taken his name on marriage, I am Mrs Smith, née Jones. Jones is therefore my maiden name.

P.S. All names have been changed to protect identities, and no resemblance with any living person is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    P.S. All names have been changed to protect identities, and no resemblance with any living person is intended.
    Pity - for some reason I started thinking of Mel Smith and Griff Rhys Jones.

Letrell

Y'all are all wonderful! Thank you so much for the education! As soon as I hit the enter key, I'm going to read all the links you've provided.

BTW....love the accent keyboard...I want one. Is that from the list of fonts MSN provides with Office? I gotta go look at those...am soooo impressed. (Doesn't take much to impress me...laughs)

Letrell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast