samhuzz

Default Willoughbys from Ramsden

Hi

I am trying to find out whether my great great grandfather's parents, Alfred Willoughby and Sarah Ann Jones actually married. They lived for most of their lives in Ramsden, but Sarah was born in Bristol as was their first son, Charles b 1866. I've looked for a marriage for them but can't find anything. Don't know where to go from here. Would parish records tell me if they were married e.g. on one of the children's baptisms? I have their son Albert Willoughby's birth cert and that's how I know the parents names.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Sam

christopher_n_lewis

Birth of first child at mother's mother's house is common. Marriage from bride's house is common, have you checked the church that Sarah's family used? Sarah may have been baptised there, as may Charles. The Marriage may have taken place after birth of the first child, especially if he arrived early. I have transcriptions on CD of some churches in Bristol - any idea which I should look at?

Certainly look for family events in the Ramsden PRs, but it is unlikely that anyone there would know if they were definately not married.

HTH

samhuzz

Thanks very much christopher n lewis - in 1901 Sarah gives her place of birth as Tower Street. Don't know if that is any help, I don't have the slightest bit of knowledge of Bristol! Looked on multimap and it looks like it is off Temple Way and Bristol General Hospital. Does this give any clues as to which parish it would be?

Thanks

Sam

christopher_n_lewis

Looking at the map my guess would be the parish of Temple or Holy Cross. The CDs I have for that church are Baptisms 1813-1837, so too early to help you. Perhaps Bristol and Avon FHS can help?

samhuzz

Thanks very much, I will try to email them

Thanks Sam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by samhuzz
    I am trying to find out whether my great great grandfather's parents, Alfred Willoughby and Sarah Ann Jones actually married. They lived for most of their lives in Ramsden, but Sarah was born in Bristol as was their first son, Charles b 1866. I've looked for a marriage for them but can't find anything.
    Is there any evidence to suggest that Alfred was a soldier? If so, you might try the army chaplains' returns of marriages 1796-1880 (note that the regimental registers of marriages are not indexed an you have to know the regment to carry out a search).

Would parish records tell me if they were married e.g. on one of the children's baptisms?
    You might strike lucky and find evidence that they weren't married. Try a search of the banns register and see if the banns were refused. It doesn't happen very often - but once in a blue moon you find a reason there.

I have their son Albert Willoughby's birth cert and that's how I know the parents names.
    Was the eldest son's birth registered? If it is, is the birth registered under the mother's maiden name or under the assumed dad's surname?

samhuzz

I will have to order the oldest son's birth certificate to find out what the parents called themselves on it. Does anyone know if you can purchase Ramsden parish registers on CD from anywhere? I live in Leics so it's a bit far to travel what with work and 2 kids!

Sam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by samhuzz
    I will have to order the oldest son's birth certificate to find out what the parents called themselves on it. Does anyone know if you can purchase Ramsden parish registers on CD from anywhere? I live in Leics so it's a bit far to travel what with work and 2 kids!
    You might try the Oxfordshire Family History Society and see if they have a published transcript and what it covers.

County Record Offices sometimes sell copies of original registers on fiche/film.

samhuzz

I've tried the OFHS and can't believe how expensive they are! I only want Ramsden PRs but they only sell one that includes some others as well and they want £18.50 for it!

Can't believe it, I bet that's why they don't let Free Reg or anyone else have access to the PRs if they are making this sort of money off them!

christopher_n_lewis

Quote Originally Posted by samhuzz View Post
    Can't believe it, I bet that's why they don't let Free Reg or anyone else have access to the PRs if they are making this sort of money off them!
    That restriction is nothing to do with OFHS - it is the policy of the Bishop of Oxford.

If you feel the CD is too expensive, you can still access the data. Try these methods -
    Use the OXFS search service
    Buy the microfiche version (if it is still available)
    Use one of the hard copies at Oxfordshire Studies, Society of Genealogists, Bishop of Oxford's library, Incumbant.
    Politely ask someone on this list, or the Oxfordshire list on GENUKI, if they will do a lookup.

HTH