+ Reply to Thread
    dawn/karen

Default what was 1100 in 1925 worth now

can someone please tell me what 1100 in 1925 would be worth around now please, also what was the averge wage for someone around then?

dawn/karen

erm i forgot to say that was in old money!!!! and all i know of that is that a sixpence was about 2 1/2 p to us today, so how many pennies to the old pound then?

dawn/karen

ok had a look at that conversion thing and it says this

3,336 x
    Days (craftsman wages in building trade)

so thats what you get when you put 33,000 in from todays money to give you the average wage earnt by a building craftman that means that it would be the eqivalent of 9 years wages

the average wage nowadays is 30000 for that trade, so that means that they got an inheritance of 180,000 each in todays terms, thansk that answers a lot of questions

A Knight in shining armour. jeeb's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Dawn,
    Value is relative to the time so it is not really possible to say what could be bought in 1925 would have an equal purchasing value today. In 1925 it was probably possible to buy 5 houses in certain areas for 1,100. You would not buy 5 houses for 33,000 today.

Wages only bought the basics in 1925 and many more families lived below the poverty line than today. Relatively speaking people were worse off in 1925 without all the amenities we take for granted and buy cheaply today.

Jeremy

dawn/karen

well i understand that jeeb but it was just for a general comparison really, still a nice sum of money back then to inherit

Valued member of Brit-Gen.
    Thanks

The National Archives has a currency converter which works both ways - then to now, and now to then:
    <http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default2.asp>

+ Reply to Thread