Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Default MATTHEW MOYLE - Kenwyn

Looking for information about MATTHEW MOYLE born 1770s/1780s (depending on which census return or certificate you believe!). He married HONOUR WATERS 1813 in Kenwyn and they had at least 5 children. I had thought he was baptised in St Agnes in 1784, but now I am not so sure - despite having traced back from that baptism for several generations!! I think it is more likely that he was baptised in Kenwyn ... but who knows? Well, maybe someone out there has him - or Honour! - in their family tree????

Matthew was a copper miner and lived and worked in the Creegbrawse area of Kenwyn, where his sons and daughters also lived and worked.

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

The Moyle's are one of my lines, but I don't have your Matthew in my file, as my lot are mainly from Wendron Parish.

However, if you go to Genforum ..... sorry I can't give you the link, as I deleted it (I no longer visit there since BG Forums was set up) then there is a name Forum for MOYLE.

If you leave a message on there, one of the Members of the private Moyle website will pick up on it. They will either answer your question, or invite you to join their Group for it to be answered.

One word of warning though, the Owner of the Group doesn't like Genealogy questions being put on the message board, he prefers you to write to him direct.

Just my opinion ...... but seeing as this seemed to defeat the whole object of the Group, I left there as well.
    Good luck with your research everybody!

Thanks Diane - I know about that forum/website, although it has changed its location since I last visited it - suffice it to say, I share your reservations .....!

CliveMoyle

I am a descendant of Matthew Moyle of Creegbrawse. He was my great-great-great grandfather. He and Honour had five children. Their second son Matthew (b.1817) was my great-great-grandfather. He married Jane Teague and they had nine children, two of whom died very young. Their son Joseph was my great-grandfather. He married Mary Ann Jewel and had five children. Their son Joseph Alfred Moyle was my grandfather. He married Lily Roskilly and they had three children. My father Joseph Ivan Moyle married Joan Kathleen Phillips and had two children. I am Thomas Clive Moyle who married Linda Andrew and have three children and eight grandchildren. We all live in Australia.

Hi Clive - I am always surprised when these really old posts are read - but shouldn't be, I know!! Welcome to the Forum.

Matthew Moyle is my 3xgreat grandfather too; I am descended from his daughter, Joanna, baptised 1819, who married Samuel Moyle in 1847. They had five children, including my great grandmother, Elizabeth Jane Moyle, who married Orlando John Bowden in 1882.

I have not done much research on this line for some time but did spend time looking "sideways" for a while - in an attempt to prove which way to go back .....

I had always believed that Joanna's brother Matthew had married Jane Tyack in 1840, so I obviously have something wrong there.

Have you any further information about Matthew or Honor; if so, I would love to hear from you? I remain undecided whether Matthew was baptised in St AGnes in 1784 or Kenwyn, where there is also a suitable baptism ......

Honor is a real mystery lady - to me, at least! I believe her to have been baptised on 26 September 1788 at Kenwyn, the daughter of John Waters and Honor, but can find no further details. There are other Waters baptism on the same day at Kenwyn, which made me believe I would be able to find a link - but so far nothing.
    Barbara
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

CliveMoyle

Hi Barbara, I was not expecting such a quick response. How exciting! First apologies, it was Jane Tyack and not Jane Teague. I have looked at the `tree' I have compiled and according to that Jaoanna and Samuel had seven children - Catherine (b 1844), Matthew (b. 1846), Julianna (b 1852 d.1852), Samuel (b. 1851), Elizabeth Jane (b 1851) and Joanna (b 1861). I believe Elizabeth Jane married Orlando John Bawden, not Bowden. Bawden is a local name.
    Our great-great-great grandfather was born in 1785 and worked as a copper miner. He married Honour Waers on June 19, 1813. In 1814 they has a son Samuel; in 1815 a daughter Joanna was born; in 1817 a son Matthew was born and his baptism papers state they then lived at Triplet, near St Day; in 1819 another Joanna (your connection) was born; and in 1823 daughter Jane was born.
    In 1841 Matthew and Honour lived at Creegbrawse with Joanna (your connection again) who was then 22. Ten years later in 1951, Matthew and Honour were still at Creegbrawse and living with their grandson Samuel, aged 13. I believe he was the son of their eldest son Samuel who married Catherine James.
    Matthew died, aged 67, at Creegbrawse in 1856. Honour died ten years later at age 80. In 1861 she was living with her grandson John at Coxhill, just outside Chacewater and where I grew up. John's full name was John Waters Moyle (b 1838). He married a girl called Elizabeth and they had two children, Catherine Jane (b 1859) and John Waters (b and d 1861).
    I will trawl through my notes to see if I can find out more about Honour.
    Their second son Matthew (my great-great grandfather) has a large monument erected at the entrance to Chacewater Parish Church which is interesting because he and his brother Samuel took out a lease on the Creegbrawse Methodist Church in 1875. Samuel died a year later but Matthew took out another lease in 1893. By this time he was a farmer.
    I started to put all this together in a book called The Moyles of Creegbrawse but it has stalled somewhat. Look forward to hearing from you again. My email is [email protected]

Thanks for that, Clive - I will email you !
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain