darylr

Red face Mysterious William Rodger ?

Hi,

I was wandering if anyone out there could help with this one. I'm trying to find an ancestor called William Rodger (Goods Carrier), who was born c.1798 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire. His parents were William (a farmer) & Mary (Rodger) ? He died on Sept 29 in 1880 aged 82, at 344 Crown St, Gorbals, Glasgow. He was a widower to Janet Johnston c.1841.

I would love to find out more about him, but can't seem to find out much .

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Daryl

sueannbowen

Well here is a possible:

Scottish census
    parish Old Monkland Ed15 page 2 line 1320 (I have no idea whether this reference will work - never having even looked at the scottish census before 5 minutes ago) come back if it means nothing!

Wiliam Rodger aged 40 born Lanarkshire
    Janet Rodger 30
    Janet 9
    William 3
    James 1
    James Mckay 20
    All living at Calder Bank Iron Works

that is a starter for 10 unless you already have that info of course Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Daryl

Where have you looked, what do you already know and what are you hoping to find ?

According to familysearch William and Janet married in 1831.

Carrying on from Sue's 1841 census above he is also there on the 1851 census on freecen as a widow with children and a lodger.

His parents were William (a farmer) & Mary (Rodger) ?
    Is the mothers maiden sir name not on the death certificate or is that Rodger to ? (depending on the informant it isnt unusual to occasionally find this part incomplete)

Have you looked to see if her death is to be found in the OPR's on Scotlandspeople just incase there is any useful information on it ?
    scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/pdf/list-of-oprs-621to660.pdf has information of available OPR's for Lanark.

Have you or anyone been able to check at The Mitchell to se if any applications for Poor Relief were made ?
    Chasing Caseys

sueannbowen

Quote Originally Posted by darylr View Post
    Hi,

(Goods Carrier), who was born c.1798 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire.
    Daryl
    Hi Daryl
    Where does the info about the goods carrier come from? you need to give us the sources you already have so we can expand.....................

Sue