Thread: NBI burials

Brian Turnbull

Default NBI burials

I have found two John Turnbulls in the NBI, one burial 10/5/1858 age 77 and one 10/9/1854 age 77. However if I look for the death index on 1837 it says no records. (They are not on FreeBMD either). How can this be so?
    Brian Turnbull.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2007 at 3:14 PM. Reason: typo

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Turnbull
    I have found two John Turnbulls in the NBI, one burial 10/5/1858 age 77 and one 10/9/1854 age 77. However if I look for the death index on 1837.com it says no records. (They are not on FreeBMD either). How can this be so?
    Brian Turnbull.
    One possible explanation, without knowing anything about the burials is transcription error.
    Are the two burials in the NBI in the same district could they both be for the same burial? It is possible to confuse a written 5 for a nine or a 4 & 8 depending on how they are written.

If that is the case then it is very possible that the entry was simply missed when the burial register was transcribed and sent to the Superintendent Register.

Once the ommission was made it would be repeated by FreeBMD who record what is in the index.
    Cheers
    Guy

Brian Turnbull

Default NBI burials

Thanks for your reply Guy. I think i did something stupid and got the result I did, as I have tried again and got some result although I am a little puzzled at the list but will work on it.
    Brian

Brian Turnbull

Default NBI burials

Thanks B-G team.
    I did mean 1837 online. I obviously did something wrong as no results showed. I have since tried again and got a result.
    Since Australia was a British colony the date formats used are the same as those used in the UK. 10/5/1858 means 10th, May 1858.
    Brian