stickymone

Default Marrying whilst serving in Royal Navy

Hi All,

If a rating got married whilst serving in the RN would he need permission from his CO?

If so would there be any record of this in ships logs?

Unfortunately my man's an Irishman so BMD is out the window. However, if anybody can help me find a marriage record for Coleman Flaherty (Yes I know it's him again) to a Delia during period 1876-1886 I would be very grateful.

The ships he served on during that period were:-
    Valiant
    Royal Adelaide
    Pegasus
    Shannon

Stickymone

v.wells

It should be recorded on his service recorded. He may have married on base or in his home county. What county was he from and did he have any other names?

stickymone

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    It should be recorded on his service recorded. He may have married on base or in his home county. What county was he from and did he have any other names?
    They's nothing on his service record, he was from Galway possibly the Aran Isles although his record has him born 'Claddish' which we are now sure should read 'Claddagh' which was just outside Galway city.

Their first born was in 1886 so being Roman Catholics I am presuming they married prior to her birth

His full name is as listed, as far as I know
    Last edited by stickymone; 08-07-2009 at 5:17 PM. Reason: extra text added

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Stickymone

I think it highly unlikely that the ships log will contain any information of use to you. In the main I've found that they just record daily information as to the weather, location etc., and perhaps record the sightings of other ships and the loss of any equipment.

However, since your man was from Ireland, and he does appear to have served as a Coast Guard in Irish waters, can I suggest that you post your question on the Coastguards of Yesteryear website.

Tony Daly, who runs this site does have access to a number of church and CG records and may be able to help you.

Regards

Martin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by stickymone
    If a rating got married whilst serving in the RN would he need permission from his CO?
    If so would there be any record of this in ships logs?
    I've seen quite a few logs from this period and never come across such an entry.

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells
    It should be recorded on his service recorded.
    RN and Army service records differ in layout and detail. I might expect to find a marriage in an army record, I wouldn't in the RN.

stickymone

Thanks very much Guys,

I know it was a bit of a long shot but worth trying.

Have done as you suggested Martin and submitted a post on the Coastguard Forum

Stickymone