Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Leviathan Convict hulk

Hi
    how can I find out what reason a person went to Leviathan Convict Hulk Portsea portsmouth Hampshire please I found this info in the 1841 census
    HO107 415 6/11

regards
    Lizziejane

hughar

Google found this site about a convict in the Leviathan, which will help.
    https://bugden.bigpondhosting.com/prison_hulk.htm

Then TNA has registers and letter books for the hulks, see
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=253

Also where did your man come from or live? That should give you a clue as to where to look for details of his conviction.

Geoffers

If you can get to TNA, you might try document class HO8, the quarterly returns of prisoners which is mentioned in the research guide mentioned by Hughar, above.

Colin Moretti

Have you looked for him on the Old Bailey site?

Colin

spison

My ancestor William Horton was on the Leviathan Hulk. The reference to his transfer in 1830 to the Royal Admiral (3) came from an Australian reference (Mitchell Library Reel 5178) but he was tried at the Old Bailey. Try the Old Bailey on line as he may be there.

Did he come to Australia? If you can give more info perhaps a researcher who can get to the Mitchell Library (Sydney) can look him up for you but it will require some searching.

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 08-07-2009 at 6:58 AM. Reason: Didn't remember the facts on the post well enough.

spison

Lizziejane,

Yesterday was obviously a bad day. It's obvious to me this morning that the Mitchell Library reference must have originally come from the National Archives.

I tried to re-edit my post but I couldn't seem to do it from my subscribed threads.

Jane

mostadome

Red face Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Hi
    how can I find out what reason a person went to Leviathan Convict Hulk Portsea portsmouth Hampshire please I found this info in the 1841 census
    HO107 415 6/11

regards
    Lizziejane
    One of my relations John Gissing was on the Leviathan hulk portsmouth in 1828, it said hes was transported then said not transported. I think it was just a prison ship, that never went anywhere. I can't find him anywhere. I can't find his death records anywhere. Have you found out anything about your relation .? I don't know if he ever went to oz.

Coromandel

Hello there and welcome to the forum

The 'Leviathan' was one of a number of prison hulks where those sentenced to transportation were held before transfer to a convict transport ship. Many of the prisoners on the hulks never got transported, but served out their sentence on the hulks, or died there, or were pardoned. During the period you're talking about some prisoners were transported to Bermuda, rather than to Australia, so that's another possibility for your man.

The National Archives, Kew, has quarterly lists of prisoners on the hulks. If you look for John in each quarter after his arrival on the 'Leviathan', you should sooner or later find out what his fate was.

Luckily for you, the quarterly lists for the 'Leviathan' for 1802 to 1836 can be downloaded free from the Documents Online site as part of the 'Digital Microfilm' programme.

(You have to click on 'Add to shopping' and then to 'Checkout' but don't need to part with any money!)

P.S. They're very big files

mostadome

Default Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    Hello there and welcome to the forum

The 'Leviathan' was one of a number of prison hulks where those sentenced to transportation were held before transfer to a convict transport ship. Many of the prisoners on the hulks never got transported, but served out their sentence on the hulks, or died there, or were pardoned. During the period you're talking about some prisoners were transported to Bermuda, rather than to Australia, so that's another possibility for your man.

The National Archives, Kew, has quarterly lists of prisoners on the hulks. If you look for John in each quarter after his arrival on the 'Leviathan', you should sooner or later find out what his fate was.

Luckily for you, the quarterly lists for the 'Leviathan' for 1802 to 1836 can be downloaded free from the Documents Online site as part of the 'Digital Microfilm' programme.

(You have to click on 'Add to shopping' and then to 'Checkout' but don't need to part with any money!)

P.S. They're very big files
    Thanks for your help,I did look at it but it's hard to read. Thanks anyway.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by mostadome View Post
    Thanks for your help,I did look at it but it's hard to read. Thanks anyway.
    I've now downloaded the registers myself and see that they're not the quarterly registers (sorry for misleading you about that; they're in HO 8, I think not HO 9). Rather, the downloadable registers list convicts as they were received onto the hulks.

I finally found John Gissing in the downloadable hulk registers in HO 9/8. Note that HO 9/8 is in two parts, which you have to download separately. He is on image 12 of 119 in the second PDF file. He's shown as one of four men received on the hulk from Bury St Edmunds on 11 April 1828:

No. on S.B.: 8578
    Name: John Gissing
    Offence: Larceny
    When and Where Convicted: 21 Mch 1828 Bury St Edmo.
    Sentence: 7 yrs
    How disposed of: F.P. 29 Augt. 1832.

F.P. = free pardon.
    So he was never transported in the end, but was pardoned after serving 4 years on the hulks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast