kenripper

Default Ware folk marrying in Middlesex, London, Surr

1822 in Poplar - the marriage of Thomas Waller of Ware to Jane Crane of Ware

1841 in Marylebone - the marriage of John Pavey of Ware to Elizabeth Rebecca Long of Ware

1864 in Westminster St Margaret's - the marriage of John Suckling of Ware to Elizabeth Rebecca Pavey (nee Long) of Ware

1877 in Hackney - the marriage of John Suckling of Ware (remarriage, Elizabeth Rebecca having died) to Priscilla Burt of Newquay, Cornwall who was living in Ware

1883 in St Saviour, Southwark - the marriage of John Suckling (third marriage) to Sarah Ann Braybrooke of Ware

Can anyone explain why the incidence of folk from Ware who choose to marry outside the district would be so prevalent? Is it anything to do with Ware, or the pull of less officious clergy in the London area?

Jan1954

What was the groom's occupation in each case? Could the draw have been work and the location then being convenient if the bride had no family ties back in Ware?

kenripper

Waller/ Crane were lemonade and ginger beer makers in Ware. I can see why they might float down the Lea to the docks for ingredients, but why marry there?

All the others are bakers on Musley Hill in Ware. No obvious reason why they should venture outside Ware, as far as I can see.

Nice thought, though, Jan.

Ken

Reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "of Ware"? Is Ware shown as the home parish on the marriage certificates? What exactly do the certificates say? Were they married by banns or licence?

Were the women in service in London?

kenripper

Thanks for the question Peter. All these ladies were Ware residents and living in artisan properties at the time of their marriage, either in Bluecoats Yard, Musley Hill, or over the river in Amwell End.

kenripper

Thanks for the question, Peter. All these people lived in Ware at the time they were married, according to local census and other local knowledge. They lived in places like Blue Coat yard and Musley Hill.

The families are all local to Ware (except the Cornish lass), but not on my tree - I have no certificates as a result - purely academic interest.