Wentworth

Default BROUGHTON PLUMSTEAD & EDGEFIELD

I am interested in finding a Robert Broughton born 1748. His parents were Robert Broughton born 1727 died 6/6/1803 and his mother was Margaret Middleton c1721 died 2/10/1800. I believe they married in Edgefield as five of the children were baptised at St Peter & Paul's church. He is the only one who does not appear to have been baptised.

Geoffers

It helps to include a county as place names sometimes repeat in different areas of the country. In this case do I take it you mean Norfolk?

If Norfolk - how complete and legible are the registers for this period? You might also consider trying the ATs and BTs which occasionally include entries which cannot be read in the registers.

Although the children may have been baptised in one parish, that does not necessarily mean that a marriage took place there.

Are there any removal order, settlement certificates? Try NROCAT.

You mention Plumstead - is this the Plumstead near Erpingham, or Great Plumstead, or Little Plumstead?

Wentworth

Sorry but I am new to this.

Yes the county is Norfolk and usually it has Plumstead by Holt which I believe is in the Erpingham area.
    We had a type written list of the births,marriages and deaths and were able to verify them. They included Church records,AT,BT etc for Broughton's in Norfolk. dating back to the 1600. The marriage was in Edgefield. So you can see why I am at a lost as to why I cannot find this record.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth
    Yes the county is Norfolk and usually it has Plumstead by Holt which I believe is in the Erpingham area.
    Ah yes, that's the Plumstead near Edgefield

We had a type written list of the births,marriages and deaths and were able to verify them. They included Church records,AT,BT etc for Broughton's in Norfolk. dating back to the 1600.
    There were about 750 parishes in Norfolk - id your list cover them all?

The marriage was in Edgefield. So you can see why I am at a lost as to why I cannot find this record.
    Not really, you previously wrote "I believe they married in Edgefield as five of the children were baptised at St Peter & Paul's church" which hints at a degree of uncertainty. If there is no mention of a marriage in Edgefield registers, then other parishes need to be considered.

If you are looking for a marriage of Robert and Margaret BROUGHTOn, whose children were Ann c1753, Edward 1756, John 1758, Mary 1760; there are not many earlier entries for the name in Edgefield ATs, which hints at the family not having come from there, possibly itinerant workers taking up work at hiring fairs. I think you may have to:

1. Try the banns register to see if there is any information to help

2. Trying registers for other parishes - Holt, Hunworth, Hempstead, Baconsthorpe, Plumstead, Matlaske, Barningham, Itteringham, Saxthorpe, Briston, Melton Constable, Briningham, Stody, Thornage