sandward

Question Scotlands people ?

Hi, I am a complete novice to the genealogy scene, but am already fascinated and amazed at the information I have gathered so far.

I wonder if anyone can now point me in the right direction on the SP web site. Is it possible to enter my grandparents names and get a list of all the children born to them ? If so can someone advise me on the steps to do so.

My mother was the last surviving member of her family and only after she died I am finding hints that there were many more than the 5 children I am aware of. My mother never spoke of other children but an older cousin has some vague memory of his mother speaking of it.

I have already found the DMB for my grandparents who all died 80 years ago and am scrolling my way through that info, but it would be a great help if I can find 'their children'

Many thanks in advance and no doubt I will be here an awful lot over the next few months etc.

thanks
    Sandward

Davran

Yes, it is possible. I haven't been on SP for such a long time I've forgotten my password and I'm having difficulty logging in, but I think it works like this (from looking at a printout):

Go to births, selecting a likely range of dates
    Enter BLOGGS in surname box
    Leave Forename box empty
    Sex 'both'
    Parent 1 name: father's surname
    Parent 2 name: mother's surname

If you've picked your dates right, you should get all the children.

For example, I was looking for the children of John KNOX/Jean MCFARLAN and the above search type between 1/1/1553-31/12/1854 brought up 20 matches, 7 of which were the right ones.

Hope that helps.

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Yes, it is possible. I haven't been on SP for such a long time I've forgotten my password and I'm having difficulty logging in, but I think it works like this (from looking at a printout):

Go to births, selecting a likely range of dates
    Enter BLOGGS in surname box
    Leave Forename box empty
    Sex 'both'
    Parent 1 name: father's surname
    Parent 2 name: mother's surname

If you've picked your dates right, you should get all the children.

For example, I was looking for the children of John KNOX/Jean MCFARLAN and the above search type between 1/1/1553-31/12/1854 brought up 20 matches, 7 of which were the right ones.

Hope that helps.
    I'm afraid that is only for pre 1855 births, in the Old Parish Registers. For births since registration started in Scotland (1855), you cannot search under parents' names at all.
    You can search for a person in the deaths since 1855 & put in their mother's maiden name. That may help you identify other siblings. But only if they are dead, of course!

sandward

Thanks you so much for the great info !
    I never realised when I started this how addictive it would become !!

Thank you again. I'm off to try your suggestions

Sandward

fteresa

Quote Originally Posted by sandward View Post
    Hi, I am a complete novice to the genealogy scene, but am already fascinated and amazed at the information I have gathered so far.

I wonder if anyone can now point me in the right direction on the SP web site. Is it possible to enter my grandparents names and get a list of all the children born to them ? If so can someone advise me on the steps to do so.

My mother was the last surviving member of her family and only after she died I am finding hints that there were many more than the 5 children I am aware of. My mother never spoke of other children but an older cousin has some vague memory of his mother speaking of it.

I have already found the DMB for my grandparents who all died 80 years ago and am scrolling my way through that info, but it would be a great help if I can find 'their children'

Many thanks in advance and no doubt I will be here an awful lot over the next few months etc.

thanks
    Sandward
    Hi,
    I am Teresa from Coimbra, Portugal.
    I have been looking for the ancestors and family of my 3rd great-grand-mother whose name was LOUISA SANDWARD, I know she was from Scotland. I reckon the name is not common, because I find very few references to "Sandward" on the web.

So I wonder if you would be a relative, since your surname is Sandward ...

LOUISA SANDWARD married Charles John Riley (Irish) and they lived for some time in Paris.
    They had 3 or 4 children.
    One of the children, Charles William Riley, is my 2nd great-grand-father.
    He was born in Paris in 1832, but when he was about 8 years, he was taken by a friend of the family to the portuguese island Sao Miguel (Azores), where he remained and lived for the rest of his life.
    He changed his name to Carlos Guilherme Riley when he married a portuguese; he had 3 children, and died and was buried in the island in 1892.

Do you by any chance (or anyone in your family) recognize this story?

Could LOUISA SANDWARD be your relative ?

I traced most of the descendants of LOUISA SANDWARD in Portugal,
    but I know nothing of her ancestors, or about her other children and their descendants, in UK (maybe in France too).

You can find LOUISA SANDWARD portuguese descendants in the (mostly portuguese) Geneall database at
    https://www.geneall.net/U/per_page.php?id=196288

Thank you so much for your attention and any information you may have,
    Best regards
    Teresa

JAP1

Sandward
    As already advised, this is not possible for Statutory Register births (i.e. from 1855) on ScotlandsPeople.

HOWEVER ...

Scottish births and marriages from the Statutory Register from 1855 to 1875 (plus a couple of later years) have been transcribed into the IGI on the Familysearch site (and parent searches can be carried out in the IGI).

This may not be useful in the time scale you are looking at but may help when/if you get back further in time.

Perhaps you could provide some names and dates.

Good luck,

JAP

sandward

Many thanks IGI for the additional info , but I'm not sure which site you mean. Is IGI a different web site all together if so would you be kind enough to post the web site address.
    Thankfully it looks like our direct ancestors haven't moved about too much and we've now got as far back as 1829 on my husbands side...we are amazed and delighted at what we have found, but also saddened by what has been a very hard life for some of the people !!
    If you would be kind enough to post the address of this other website I'd be much obliged.
    BTW I notice your from Australia...we are heading there for a cruise next December....Bangkok to Sydney and cant wait !! The world gets smaller by the minute.

Thanks again
    Sandward

Jan1954

Many thanks IGI for the additional info , but I'm not sure which site you mean. Is IGI a different web site all together if so would you be kind enough to post the web site address.
    Hi there,

Have a read of this sticky about the IGI - there is also a link through to the website.

simoes88

i am a descendant of louisa sandward in the us my mother is from the acores there are many if you search ancestry.com the simoes family tree you will find many