valgeo

Default Marine Society records

I have an ancestor who started his seafaring career with the Marine Society, which I understand was a charity, training and then placing boys/young men on board vessels. I have viewed a Trinity House petition from him asking for charity when he was in his 50's and it was substantiated by a declaration from the Marine Society stating "This is to certify that Daniel S........ was sent by this Society to his Majesty's Ship 'Albion' 15th November 1776"

Does anyone know if there are any records from that time held anywhere, for me to check through, as we suspect his brother, and maybe even another brother also started with them? I did email the current Marine Society website asking this question, but haven't heard back from them.

Thankyou - Val

Geoffers

You might try:

TNA's catalogue
    Just enter - marine society - into the word or description field and then search. See if any hits relate to records.

NMM web-site
    In the search engine in the top right of the screen just enter - marine society

From the list of results click on no.3 'Marine Society - MSY' which gives a list of documents deposited.

valgeo

Many thanks Geoffers - I shall try those
    Val