Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nina54

Default Great grandfather (shoemaker) no trace of him

My great grandfather is a mystery I cannot find any birth, death or census records on him. All I have is a marriage certificate to my great grand mother in 1886 his occupation is shoemaker (living in Oldham). My grandmother's birth in 1887 occupation boot and shoemaker. In 1890 my grand mothers sister's death in May 1890 occupation shoemaker (journeyman) living in Hulme, Manchester. Then my grand mothers brother birth certificate he is a shoemaker (journeyman). When my gran married in 1909 he was 'deceased'. I cannot find anything other that on these certificates.

What I find strange is that in 1891 my great gran and her family were in a workhouse. No mention of her husband - even though she states married. Also in 1901 she is living with another man. I know he probably left her but I cannot find him anywhere!! The surname suggests he was born in Scotland and all I know his father is John. Some family believe his birth date is 2 Aug 1860 but not too sure.

Any help would be most welcome. It has drove me crazy.

Nina54

His name was James Millar - if he existed at all.

gasser

What is the name of your great grandfather? and what other details do you have from the marriage certificate? names, addresses, ages etc. All clues you can submit wil help others to help you (hopefully!)

Nina54

His marriage cert on 7 July 1886 James Millar aged 26 batchelor - shoemaker - residence cant quite read looks like Holowood Place (Oldham) - father John Millar - Labourer.

My grandmothers birth: 11 Feb 1887 -born Rochdale Road, Oldham.

His daughters death cert May 1890 says James Millar in attendance 8 Camden Street, Hulme.

His sons birth James Edmond Millar - 8 Camden street, Hulme.

I did check 1891 census but he was not there but his family were in workhouse.

Nina

MarkJ

As gasser has mentioned, it is best to give as much detail as possible to enable others to assist you.
    The marriage certificate will have much of the info we need - but any other details you know would be useful - e.g date of birth and place if known of your great grandfathers birth would be great.

Mark

Edit: Ah - you beat me to it! Thanks for the info - hopefully we can track him down!

MarkJ

Only 3 James MILLAR entries between 1858 and 1862 for Lancashire on FreeBMD - one of those is a James Duncan Millar.

One in West Derby (Liverpool), one Blackburn and the third Chorlton.

None is in 1860.

Quite a lot of MILLER entries though - and several are in Manchester area.

Mark

Nina54

Many thanks for all your help but I have looked and looked at all the census records - even researched all James - shoemakers. Still not found him anywhere. I have looked at all the variations of his name. The archive research team in Oldham (which were brilliant) found another person living in the house where my gran was born in the years 1884 and 1889. I think he may have changed his name - I wont give up though - I like a mystery!!!

Nina

Reputation beyond repute

You say the family was in the workhouse. Have you investigated whether there are extant workhouse records that might shed some light on matters?

Nina54

The other man I have traced and not James Millar. But in 1911 I cannot find my great grand mother but I know she died in 1927. I know she never remarried and states she was a widow of James Millar boot and shoe repairer on the death cert. It is so frustrating not knowing where he was born or died. And a mystery why he is not on any census forms.

Nina

Nina54

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    You say the family was in the workhouse. Have you investigated whether there are extant workhouse records that might shed some light on matters?
    Yes the archives have looked into it but it only gives the date arrived and left - no mention to the infamous James Millar. My gran was only 4 years old and her brother 8 months old. - so where was he!!!

Nina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast