Knowledgeable and helpful

Default maps west indies 1780-1800

I have details of the Valiant plus another ships movements from the ships log for the west indies where they were sailing from Staton Island New York passing Havana docking at Port Royal Jamaica.
    I would love to plot the ships movements and am unsure what kind of map to use. As some of the names mentioned may have changed should I go for an old map and if so where is the best place for obtaining a map covering this area bearing in mind the expense.
    Would the national archives have anything.
    The reason I want to plot this is that I am lucky enough to be going on a cruise in December around the Carribean and want to know what waters if any I shall be sailing in that my 2x gt grandfather sailed in also.
    He was on board the Valiant in the battle of the Saints and I know the Valiant was anchored off Gros Islet Bay St Lucia.
    I would also like to find out what if any maritime history there is still around in the Carribean ie ports I know there is a dockyard at Barbados. Have tried the internet for St Lucia but didnt give any info
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

HI Jane, the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection is very good site for old maps, I've used it in the past and it has a wide selection of maps, go to the historical collection on the address below..
    Hugh.

https://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/index.html

Hi Hugh
    This looks absolutely brilliant thank you so much.
    Best Wishes
    Jane

Hugh Thompson

Thanks Jane, it will take you a while to go through it all as it is a huge site but it is the best map site I've ever found.
    Hugh.

AnnieB5051

There are images of historic charts on the National Maritime Museum website - search through the Library catalogue & limit the results to maps & charts. You can get into the images and zoom to see the details. Doesn't include Admiralty collections, although they do hold a very large collection of these and commercial 'blueback' charts as well.
    If you email me, I can send you the email of the curator of hydrography at the museum who can let you know what they have.

Anne

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Jane

I've had a number of holidays in the Caribbean, and particularly Gros Islet in St Lucia.

Pigeon Island in Rodney Bay, which is now linked to the mainland by a causeway, has a very small museum on it, and if you feel up to a climb in the heat there is a small fort at the summit, but I believe this post-dates the period you are interested in, but you get some great views over Rodney Bay. By the way it was called Pigeon Island because Admiral Rodney kept pigeons for relaxation!

If in Barbados I would suggest a visit to the Old Barracks area, and particularly the military prison which is now a museum. There is an old fort, but this is still used by the Barbados Defence Force, so access is not possible.

If you want some really spectacular views over Barbados, go up to Signal Point in the centre of the island. This was a lookout point from where a gun was fired when a strange ship was sighted approaching the island. You will also find that all around the island old cannon have been set in the ground as bollards. This dates from when every visiting ship had to pay what amounted to a 'Cannon Tax' - in the end they had more cannon than they knew what to do with!

If you get to Antigua, Nelson's Dockyard is well worth a visit, and again the fort at Shirley Heights, where you can party and watch the sunset.

Have a great holiday, I just love the Caribbean.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by crimea1854 View Post
    Hi Jane

I've had a number of holidays in the Caribbean, and particularly Gros Islet in St Lucia.

Pigeon Island in Rodney Bay, which is now linked to the mainland by a causeway, has a very small museum on it, and if you feel up to a climb in the heat there is a small fort at the summit, but I believe this post-dates the period you are interested in, but you get some great views over Rodney Bay. By the way it was called Pigeon Island because Admiral Rodney kept pigeons for relaxation!

If in Barbados I would suggest a visit to the Old Barracks area, and particularly the military prison which is now a museum. There is an old fort, but this is still used by the Barbados Defence Force, so access is not possible.

If you want some really spectacular views over Barbados, go up to Signal Point in the centre of the island. This was a lookout point from where a gun was fired when a strange ship was sighted approaching the island. You will also find that all around the island old cannon have been set in the ground as bollards. This dates from when every visiting ship had to pay what amounted to a 'Cannon Tax' - in the end they had more cannon than they knew what to do with!

If you get to Antigua, Nelson's Dockyard is well worth a visit, and again the fort at Shirley Heights, where you can party and watch the sunset.

Have a great holiday, I just love the Caribbean.

Martin
    Hi Martin
    Thanks very much for the details sounds great I have an intinerary for the cruise as follows:-
    Barbados,St kitts,Cayo Levantado, GrandTurk, Dominica, St lucia,St Maarten,Tortola, Antigua,St Vincent and then back to Barbados. I need to check the ships log for the details of the sailing around the time my ancestor was on the Valiant to see which if any of the above they passed or anchored at. My only concern is that the internary can change so as long as I go to St Lucia I shant be too disappointed. However as regards walking up a hill I do get quite short of breath due to my health so wonder if I would manage the walk. If its anything like Robins Hoods Bay at Yorkshire I can just about get up that I reckon its about 1 in 4 at least but I have to stop a few times. How steep is it at St Lucia and how long would a couple of 55+ manage the walk.
    As we are not seasoned travellers we will probably use a taxi to take us around to different places as I think is the safest way to get around.
    Best Wishes
    Jane