Thread: The beeches

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default The beeches

Hi everyone
    help needed here, I have recently looked through Newport Union poor records, I found the family I was looking for on numerous dates around 1902 to 1904 and they are moving in and out of the work house "transfered from Long ashton Union" and " sent to the Beeches" are quite common comments in the books, does any body know anything about these two places, I have also found through these books that my Nan Florence Ruby Butcher and George Arthur Butcher had a child I was unaware of, Millicent born 1901 according to their records, and also a mention of "sent from the beeches to Dr Banardo,s London 20th October 1902" but a year later they are back in the Newport Union House.
    Has anybody came across anything like it, if you have read another of my posts BRITISH HOME CHILDREN SENT TO CANADA, you will know that I am trying to trace other members of this same family.
    Robert

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Check this link.

https://www.caerleon.net/archive/lite...ndust_schl.htm

Scroll to the very last paragraph.

Sue

Thank you Sue2white
    Thats part of the story unravelled, I have also just found out that Long Ashton union was a poor house in Bristol, just cant understand why they were being pushed from pillar to post, unless its because they were originally from Bedminster in Bristol and the powers that be were arguing who should look after them, perhaps some else has the answer, but reading all that happened in those days really makes me appreciate today, thanks once again and I dont mind how many people want to add their 2 penny worth.
    Robert.

Reputation beyond repute

...and Long Ashton Union was just another poor law union - formerly known as Bedminster Union. I suppose it was about 20 miles away so some transfers wouldn't be surprising.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    I have also found through these books that my Nan Florence Ruby Butcher and George Arthur Butcher had a child I was unaware of, Millicent born 1901 according to their records, and also a mention of "sent from the beeches to Dr Banardo,s London 20th October 1902" but a year later they are back in the Newport Union House.
    Hello,
    Is this the birth record for your Millicent Butcher?

Name: Millicent Florence Butcher
    Year: 1901
    Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Newport M
    County: Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire
    Volume: 11a
    Page: 239

If so, she may have been sent to Canada on the Tunisian in 1912:

Library & Archives Canada Home Children Website:
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...5=&interval=20

And this may possibly be her marriage (free Ontario marriages transcription website):
    https://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...linc1923p2.htm

015070-23 Edward Kenneth LEACH, 26, carpenter, Scotland, Chicago, s/o Edward LEACH (b. England) & Lydia JAMES, married Millicent BUTCHER, 22, Wales, St. Catharines, parents unknown (father born Wales) , witn - Ernest Robert GAULEY & Margaret BALD, both of St. Catharines, 18 September 1923 at St. Catharines

And on the 1930 US census in Chicago, Illinois:

Edward K Leach, head, 32, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, carpenter building, immig 1923
    Milicent Leach, wife, 28, b. Scotland, parents b. Scotland, immig 1923
    Ernest Leach, son, 5, b. Illinois, parents b. Scotland
    Thomas Leach, son, 2 10/12, b. Illinois, parents b. Scotland

5435 Rosedale Avenue, Chicago, Cook, Illinois.

Edward owns a home valued at $9,000. On Milicent's line, the word daughter is also written in the relationship box, making me wonder if there is a daughter as well who was skipped on transferring the names from the householder sheet. Also, on Milicent's place of birth the capital letter W (for Wales?) was written, subsequently overwritten with Scotland.

This may be Milicent's death record:

Name: Millicent Leach
    Death Date: 1 Jun 1932
    Death Location: Cook County, IL
    File number: 6015435

which can be purchased from the cookcountygenealogy.com website.

Adele

Hi AdeleE
    Thanks Very much, I did find Millicents birth record and that she was sent to canada 1912, but thats all, (only yesterday) and Im pretty certain that she is my fathers half sister, well at least she might have had an happy ending and getting married with perhaps a child of her own.

I am still trying to put what information I have together to try and work out what happened, Mary-Anne is trying to help me find out more about Millicents older sister Gladys Ruby Butcher, Born Bedminster England 1894, I know she was sent to canada 1906 and her brother Randolph Butcher born Bedminster England 1896 again sent to canada 1906, but he died December same year(1906), there was one other sister Gweneth Emily Butcher born Bedminster England 1898, of which I have found no trace, not in the 1911 census or can I find a death record, so I assume she was also sent to canada, the childrens father is also a mystery, last mention of him is in the Newport Union work house books 1904, he was born George Arthur Butcher in Bedminster England 1874, any help would be welcomed, thank you once again.
    P.S I have my nans history but need to know what might have happened before I go into more detail.