Thread: Dead v Extinct

terrysfamily

Default Dead v Extinct

This was a report in the newspaper for my grt grandfather

Fatality at Bayton Colliery.
    ---------------------
    ENGINEMAN KILLED

On Wednesday a fatal accident occurred at Bayton Colliery, which created a painful Sensation in the village.
    John Humphries, (56), of Bayton village, was seen standing near his engine by Walter Stokes, (bankman at the Colliery) and shortly afterwards suspecting something was amiss, Fred Kennard, also employed at the Colliery, went into the engine room where he found Humphries dead, on the floor with frightful injuries to his head and face.

Dr. Addenbrooke, of Cleobury, was sent for, but pronounced life extinct.
    An inquest will be held.

This was in 1922.

What is the norm to be pronounced dead or pronounced life extinct?

Was Dr. Addenbrooke a failed ham Actor or just overly dramatic?

Terry

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by terrysfamily
    What is the norm to be pronounced dead or pronounced life extinct?
    dead

Was Dr. Addenbrooke a failed ham Actor or just overly dramatic?
    Methinks more likely to be journalistic licence.

As an aside - many years ago I went to a sudden death on a railway line where someone decided to watch an intercity go by at speed - unfortunately he watched it with his neck across the line.

Surprisingly there wasn't much of a mess usually associated with this form of suicide. We called a doctor out to pronounce death at the scene (we couldn't make an assumption).

The doctor arrived and was shown the separated head and body. With a straight face he bent down and felt for a pulse while looking at his watch. After a while he looked up and said in a shocked and dramatic voice "My god, this man is dead!" (He was asked if he needed a second opinion, but declined).

My apologies if this offends anyone - you need to keep a certain sense of humour to deal with this type of incident.

pennydog

If you 'google' life extinct you will see it is a phrase still used!

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    dead

As an aside - many years ago I went to a sudden death on a railway line where someone decided to watch an intercity go by at speed - unfortunately he watched it with his neck across the line.

Surprisingly there wasn't much of a mess usually associated with this form of suicide. We called a doctor out to pronounce death at the scene (we couldn't make an assumption).

The doctor arrived and was shown the separated head and body. With a straight face he bent down and felt for a pulse while looking at his watch. After a while he looked up and said in a shocked and dramatic voice "My god, this man is dead!" (He was asked if he needed a second opinion, but declined).

My apologies if this offends anyone - you need to keep a certain sense of humour to deal with this type of incident.
    didn't offend me, like a Monty python or Cook and More scetch

terrysfamily

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Oh thanks, never heard of it before. Lead a sheltered life

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by pennydog View Post
    Yes it most certainly is! I work in the medical profession, and can attest to that.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    dead

Hi Geoffers
    This certainly made me smile and lets face it in order to do some jobs you have to have some kind of coping mechanism .
    Jane

sue1

I enjoyed that - thanks for making me smile Geoffers!!!!!