Ron Lankshear

Default John SHAW from Banbury c1800

I have the following

Banbury Baptisms:
    21 July 1816 Elizabeth daughter of John and Elizabeth SHAW, Bridge St, Leatherdresser
    9 July 1817 Anne daughter of John and Elizabeth SHAW, Bridge St, Leather-dresser
    21 November 1819 Harriett daughter of John and Elizabeth SHAW, Bridge St, Skinner

Elizabeth SHAW married John LANKSHEAR in 1838 - my ancestors.
    Harriet SHAW married Henry LONG.
    And they all lived in Bermonsey.

I have not traced the other sister Anne

But I'd love to find out more on their parents

There is a baptism on 27 April 1800 at Banbury of a John SHAW, son George & Mary, Boat-builder.

Presumably my John and either he married young or was a late baptism.

But no marriage found for John or his father George.

So I suppose they are somewhere in North Oxon or Warwickshire and Buckinghamshire as prime targets and just possibly Worcestershire (the part where Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Oxfordshire meet

If anyone can see anything I would be very happy... Ron

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lankshear View Post

So I suppose they are somewhere in North Oxon or Warwickshire and Buckinghamshire as prime targets
    Hi Ron,

it interested me that George was a boatbuilder in the middle of Oxfordshire,... then I realised that Banbury was/is on the canal between Oxford and Coventry, and the canal system would have been in its heyday then of course. Bearing that in mind, I wondered if you'd considered this (IGI) marriage;

George SHAW/ Mary Calaway 26 Sep 1790 Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire.

Chilvers Coton is now part of Nuneaton, on the canal north of Coventry. I can only find one baptism in Chilvers Coton for a child from this marriage;

George 01 Aug 1796 (age at Christening: 4)

Since you think John's baptism may have been a late one too, perhaps it's worth checking this marriage entry in the PR's to see if it gives George's occupation?

cheers birdlip

birdlip

A possibility for Johns marriage, IGI again;

John SHAW/ Elizabeth LEE 30 April 1815 St John, Coventry, Warwickshire.

Ron Lankshear

Thanks so much that does sound like very likely for my folk.
    I see what you mean about George travelling around or along a river. And if the 1796 child was 4 at baptism then John many have been born around then and be 4 also in 1800 and hence 19 in 1815 and quite old enough to be Elizabeth Lee's husband.

So I will pencil those in to my pages etc and action is to see if any occupation for the 1790 marriage and 1796 baptism and the 1815 marriage.

Thank You for great suggestions....

birdlip

Good luck..let us know how you get on.