Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rasmusseneric

Question The Harris Families of Westoning c1710 - c1780.

I am deeply into the Harris family in Australia right up to 1998.

I have a problem with the Westoning families c1710 to c 1780.

Here is my problem:-

I have a Joseph Harris (b abt 1710) who married an Ann Austin on 7 Jan 1737.
    I have their children born as follows:- Richard b1767; George b1771; Fanny b1776 and Francis b1781.

It may well be that Joseph could have fathered all including Francis at 71 but I have doubts about Ann!

I believe I have a family missing with another male Harris, born say c1738, fathering these children and the Joseph above raising that male amongst others?

Can any one help?

Thanks

Eric from Oz

birdlip

Quote Originally Posted by rasmusseneric View Post
    I have a Joseph Harris (b abt 1710) who married an Ann Austin on 7 Jan 1737.
    I have their children born as follows:- Richard b1767; George b1771; Fanny b1776 and Francis b1781.

It may well be that Joseph could have fathered all including Francis at 71 but I have doubts about Ann!

I believe I have a family missing with another male Harris, born say c1738, fathering these children and the Joseph above raising that male amongst others?
    No, I think you're right, you're missing a generation somehow. You don't say where the marriage took place, but IGI has this;

Jos HARRIS m An ASUTIN* 07 Jan 1738 Campton, Bedford (*sic) Batch M00506

There are also these children christened, parents Joseph HARRIS and Ann/e, all at Clifton, Bedford, abt 2miles from Campton;

Jn 07 Jun 1741
    Joseph 27 Dec 1742
    Rich 25 Nov 1744
    Wm 26 Mar 1747, d 29 jun 1747
    Wm 27 Mar 1748
    Eliz 04 Feb 1749

Were the chn Richard, George, Fanny and Francis were all born at Westoning? Their parents, Joseph and Ann may or may not be related to Joseph and Ann Austin, there seem to be several Harris families around Bedford.

davidcarca

What's the source for the baptisms of Richard George Fanny and Francis? I can't see them on the IGI

David

rasmusseneric

Smile 1st Reply to 'birdlip' and 'davidcarca"

Thanks for the quick replies.

I got my info, not from IGI, but from an American lady who kindly opened her Family Tree to me on Ancestry.com.au. When I questioned the dates, she suggested I delve further.

Rather than race answers to your questions, I am going to sit down and piece the whole thing together.

I rather like 'birdlip's' suggestion as the dates seem to tie-in.

I will get back to both of you ASAP.

Eric

rasmusseneric

Question 2nd Reply to 'birdlip' and 'davidcarca'

I have come to the conclusion that the American Lady (AM) and I are on different wavelengths.
    I think it best if I tell you what I "know" using GRO certificates and other mebers of BG forum. With your knowledge of Bedfordshire, you can probably point me in the right direction.

1. Daniel Harris married Emma Horspool on (29 May 1845 - GRO certificate) or (27 Mar 1845 Qtr Jun Woburn vol 6 pg 179 - 'willow' 17 Nov 2006). The certificate reads Tingrith,
    'willow' quotes Harlington. Both were 'above age'.
    2. The certificate quotes Daniel's father as Francis. The residence was Tingrith in the County of Bedfordshire.
    3. Daniel died on 4 Sep 1878 at age 59 (certificate). Hence he was born abt 1820.
    4. 'willow' quoted the 1841 Census with father Francis age 60 and son Daniel age 20; residence Tingrith. (HO 107/5/33 Folio 6). Francis was therefore born about 1781.

All the rest I have is from the AL; so I won't bother with it.

Any suggestions on further research?

Regards,

Eric

davidcarca

All bar one of the online trees, including one submitted by John Rasmussen, seem to have the same erroneous details. Daniel was baptised on 3 July 1819 at Maulden.The Harris line is easily traced through censuses to Francis Harris, born between 1876 and 1881 in Bedfordshire, who married Sarah Axem in Maulden on 13 July 1801 at Maulden (both otp). This appears to have been a second marriage for Francis although he’s not described as widower in the parish register. His first marriage was to Sophia Fisher at Maulden on 22 Jan 1798 (both otp). Sophia Harris age 22 wife of Francis was buried in Maulden on 9 June 1800

Francis and Sarah baptised a number of children in Maulden, which are on the IGI, and in 1841 the family was living in Tingrith, where there’s a burial of Francis Harris age 64 on 6 Feb 1842, which puts his birth at c1778. The nearest baptism to this was in Maulden on 11 Sept 1774, son of James and Elizabeth, labourer – there’s only one tree on Ancestry which seems to have it right - Paul & Karen's family tree

Francis had an elder brother George who married Elizabeth Axem of Ampthill at Maulden on 31 July 1801.

James Harris married Elizabeth Billingham on 12 Jan 1769 at Maulden. James was of the parish of Hawnes (now spelt Haynes). And that's where I get stuck, but I'll carry on looking after breakfast and getting my son to school!

All the above baptisms and marriages are on the IGI, but I checked them, plus the burial, against the microfilm of the transcript of Maulden parish register (some of my ancestors were from Maulden)

I always take online trees with large pinches of salt!

Virtually all of Beds baptisms and marriages pre 1813 are on the IGI

David
    Last edited by Jan1954; 25-05-2009 at 8:13 AM. Reason: Link to Ancestry deleted

davidcarca

Third line of my previous post "Francis Harris, born between 1876 and 1881". I should eat breakfast before posting. That should read 1776 and 1781

Sorry!

rasmusseneric

Smile 3rd Reply to David

Thanks for the info - you must enjoy the work or, rather, the fun of the chase!!

I will try to emulate your success with the IGI - I have a lot to learn.

Thanks again - looking forward to more results from the chase.

Just remember - I can trace Daniel to my wife's mother - she was a Harris. I am 99% sure he is my Daniel.

PS John Rasmussen and I are one and the same - my first name is John but I use my second name Eric. I use John only when I need to use my credit card as with Ancestry.

Regards,

John -- er -- Eric

davidcarca

I've just been looking a bit closer at those American trees. They're utter garbage! They have the wrong Daniel Harris as son of Francis and Sarah. The one the Americans are interested in is the Daniel born in 1817 in Millbrook Beds. One of the trees actually shows your Daniel as son of another Daniel who was born and died in the USA. I despair!

Your line in Beds looks fine to me, but I'll leave it to you to sort out the Australian end!

I've got no further with James Harris who married in 1769, from Haynes. There's no James Harris baptised in Haynes although other Harrises were baptised there at around that time, children of William and Elizabeth. Of course, although James was of the parish of Haynes when he married, doesn't mean he was born in Haynes. He was merely living there when he married. The online tree that has it right shows James as being from Shillington (I can't work out how they arrived at this conclusion) but there was no James baptised there either. So I'm stuck I'm afraid.

David

rasmusseneric

Smile 4th Reply to 'davidcarca'

Thanks David for your work.

I will continue to explore backward but I am reasonably happy to get Francis.

One of our local genealogical societies has the saying " Only a Genealogist regards as step backward as a step forward"

Thanks for your help.

If you want any Oz certificates let me know.

erasmusj AT netspace DOT net DOT au

Eric
    Last edited by Jan1954; 25-05-2009 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Email address edied in the continuing war against spammers....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast