TGfromSalcombe

Default BIGAMIST?named WALSH?BAMFORD or BANFIELD?

Hello,
    I hope someone can help me. My head is getting sore!
    My Grandfather was William Walsh - according to my Mother's ,Aunt's and Uncle's Birth certificates.
    He was born in Dublin in September 1903 - this is from my Mother.
    I have been unable to find a marriage between him and my Nanna Alice Evans, her surname is listed as Evans on the birth certificates also, not Walsh formerly Evans. (she was born in Bury Lancashire)
    On one of the birth certificates he is listed as being an aircraftman with a service number, but i cannot apply for records via the next of kin due to the fact i cannot produce a death certificate.
    I did send off for a Death cert. but it came back as being born in Lancashire
    (a possibility )- he had told porky pies before... but his occupation was listed as a motor driver.
    On the other 2 certificates he is listed as a labourer

My Mother told me that in approximately 1944 Grandad was sent to prison for 18 months for Bigamy.
    That he had a daughter named Barbara from a previous marriage.
    Because he doesnt appear to have married Nanna, i can only assume he married someone else whilst he was in the Airforce (Hull Yorkshire) and Nanna and the children were in Devon.
    I have tried the National archives for the 3 surnames plus bigamy. (Mum seemed to think that Walsh was actually his Mothers maiden name and either Banfield or Banford/Bamford was his real Surname.
    The only other information i have is that he had a Sister named Frances, whom my Mother was named after.
    If you can give me any ideas as to where to try i would be very grateful
    regards
    TG

Brick wall demolition expert!

Your grandfather seems to have given your grandmother the complete run around. If he went inside for bigamy then he had two wives plus your grandma.

As nothing you have is anything more than heresay I would suggest writing to the Air Force explaining what you have been told and ask if they can advise the name associated with the service record.

You may be able to obtain that small piece of information from the PRO, perhaps from pay schedules. Perhaps if one of the people here who know far more about that than me see this maybe they can advise.

If you can get a genuine name then you may be able to move forward.