Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Andrew, Ham

jannic

Hi Diamond,

I'm afraid that the baptism's covered on the microfilm only run from 1832 - 1904. I have another film with 1904-1928 but haven't got around to transcribing them all yet. The branch of family I was researching moved into the area c1860 and so unfortunately I have no need to transcribe the earlier registers. If you think that there are going to be several generations of PHILLIPS it might pay you to buy the earlier film from Surrey history centre, they're around £25 I think, for me that is much more cost effective than making the journey to Woking. You can then use a fiche or film reader at your local LDS centre, records office or library, I've found that my old fiche reader actually works very well with microfilm - I just have to roll and unroll it carefully!

Sorry not to be of more help

Jan

-tmm-

Hi Jan,

I don't know if you're still doing lookups, but if you are I would be grateful if you could look up the children of John Thomas Sharp(e) and Eliza (formerly Whiting). I'm pretty sure I have record of all the surviving children, but am not sure if there were any more that perhaps died in infancy. Also am wondering how the surnames are spelt in the register - Sharp or Sharpe

Many thanks,
    Chris

Starting to feel at home

Hi

Not sure of the scope of this thread - it jumped out at me because I grew up in Ham and went to St Andrews primary school. I was told when I was at the the school, that they had the original registers (I think they called them log books), which gave details of children attending the school day to day and other events. They went back into the 19th century, when it was common for children to be taken out of school to help with ploughing etc. The school moved out of the original premises in the late 60s I think, and the building became a catholic church, but I would think that perhaps the Richmond Records office would still have the books. Anyone interested in Ham families might find them there.

jannic

Hi Chris,

Here are the baptisms as recorded in the register:- I'm afraid that they don't copy and paste well from excel.
    The columns are
    do birth - do baptism - childs name - father - mother - surname - abode - occupation - notes(if any)
    They are exactly as written in the register so where there is no year of birth I think you can assume they were born the same year as the baptism.

22 May 13 Jul 1879 Sarah John Thomas Eliza SHARP Ham Labourer
    8 Mar 1896 10 May 1896 Elizabeth Ann John Thomas Eliza SHARP 4 Oak Cottages, Ham Street Gardiner
    9 Sep 11 Oct 1874 Eliza John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Gardener
    7 Jan 1876 13 Feb 1876 Shadrach John John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Gardener
    19 Jul 12 Aug 1877 Thomas John Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    27 Feb 10 Apr 1881 Jane Ellen John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    6 May 8 Jul 1883 John Albert John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    19 Dec 1884 8 Feb 1885 Mary Ann John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    7 Apr 9 May 1886 William John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    13 Jun 8 Jul 1888 Alice John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    19 Feb 13 Apr 1890 Harry John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    20 Jan 13 Mar 1892 Mary John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Labourer
    12 Apr 10 Jun 1894 John Thomas John Thomas Eliza SHARPE Ham Gardener

There are also two marriages that you may be interested in:-

17 May 1873 - John Thomas SHARP - 23 - Bachelor - Gardener - Ham - John SHARP - Labourer
    17 May 1873 - Eliza WHITING - 20 - Spinster - Ham - Shadrach WHITING - Labourer
    Witnessex John WHITING & Thomas? CHAMBERLIN?

10 Aug 1901 - Arthur BUCK - 21 - Bachelor - Carman - 4 Lock Road, Ham - Charles BUCK - Carman (deceased)
    10 Aug 1901 - Sarah SHARPE - 22 - Spinster - 4 Lock Road, Ham - John SHARPE - Nursery Man
    Winesses - John Thomas SHARPE & Eliza SHARPE

All the best
    Jan

Starting to feel at home

Chris

If your Sharpe family lived in Ham Street and were gardeners, they probably worked at Ham House (now National Trust).

-tmm-

Thanks Jan. There's two extra baptisms on there I didn't know about, and the marriage for Sarah was news to me too. Much appreciated.

Greybird, I have often wondered if that were the case. They lived on Ham Street for a while, but later they were living on Lock Road. Visiting Ham with my mother (as she remembers visiting family there as a child) is on my long list of places to visit. Hopefully soon.

jannic

22 May - 13 Jul 1879 - Sarah - John Thomas & Eliza SHARP - Ham Labourer
    8 Mar 1896 - 10 May 1896 - Elizabeth Ann - John Thomas & Eliza SHARP - 4 Oak Cottages, Ham Street - Gardiner
    9 Sep - 11 Oct 1874 - Eliza - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Gardener
    7 Jan 1876 - 13 Feb 1876 - Shadrach John - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Gardener
    19 Jul - 12 Aug 1877 - Thomas - John & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    27 Feb -10 Apr 1881 - Jane Ellen - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    6 May - 8 Jul 1883 - John Albert - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    19 Dec 1884 - 8 Feb 1885 - Mary Ann - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    7 Apr - 9 May 1886 - William - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    13 Jun - 8 Jul 1888 - Alice - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    19 Feb - 13 Apr 1890 - Harry - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    20 Jan - 13 Mar 1892 - Mary - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Labourer
    12 Apr - 10 Jun 1894 - John Thomas - John Thomas & Eliza SHARPE - Ham - Gardener

Reformatted so you can read them!

Starting to feel at home

Chris,

Lock Road meets Ham street at the crossroads on Ham Common. St Andrews School (C of E), as was, stands on one of the corners, opposite Ham Pond. Lock Road is so called because it ran down towards Teddington Lock. At the Common end of Lock Road (which is where I think no 4 will be), there are still Victorian cottages). Have a look on Google Street View! My mother still lives off Lock Road.

greg_ball

Hi Jan,

Not sure if you are still doing lookups in these registers? but if you are I would be interested to see if there were WALLIS/WALLACE baptisms for children of James and Alice. The date range is 1839-1861 for the children I know about. If there are marriages for any of the children as well, that would be great. I'm particularly hoping to find a marriage for Jane Frances WALLIS to George CHIVERS in 1883.

Thanks,
    Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12