Kevin Williams

Default John Campbell (1771) and Janet Dobie (c1778)

Hello folks,

my brickwall is John CAMPBELL and Janet DOBIE.

1771 - John Campbell was born in Argyll, Scotland. What do I know about John. Well I know he married a Janet Dobie and that he was a gardener at Llewerllyd , North Wales. I think he married Janet in Scotland, they then moved to Rhuddlan, North Wales. Here they had there family;

1. Alexander CAMPBELL
    Born: 16 March 1798, Pendref, Rhuddlan
    Baptism: 23 March 1798, Rhuddlan
    2. James Henry CAMPBELL
    Born: 04 August 1799, Rhuddlan
    Baptism: 18 August 1799, Rhuddlan
    3. Charles CAMPBELL
    Born: 17 March 1807
    Married: Jane PEACOCK, 14 January 1837, Abergele Witnesses where James Henry CAMPBELL and Frances TRAPCEIRN
    4. Mary CAMPBELL
    Born: 1813, Rhuddlan, Nth Wales
    Married: Thomas WILLIAMS son of John WILLIAMS and Anne HUGHES
    Died: 12 June 1887
    5. Anne Frances CAMPBELL
    Born: May 1806
    6. Elizabeth CAMPBELL
    Born: 14 November 1810, Rhuddlan
    Baptism: 02 December 1810, Rhuddlan
    7. Peter CAMPBELL
    Born: 23 April 1815
    Married: Elizabeth DAVIES, 27 October 1838, Rhuddlan
    Born: Kings Head Inn, Rhuddlan
    8. Edwin CAMPBELL
    Born: 28 April 1822, Bodryddan
    Died: 27 August 1835, Dyserth, Nth Wales
    9. Jane Marie CAMPBELL
    Born: Rhuddlan
    Married: Henry WILLIAMS, Brother of Thomas WILLIAMS

I have tried to find John and Janet, here in Scotland but they are eluding me. John Campbell here in Scotland is like looking for David Jones in Wales.

If there is anyone out that that could shine a little light into this black hole, I would be very grateful.

Regards
    Kevin Williams
    https://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kevinsfamily/campbell.htm

Brick wall demolition expert!

John Campbell here in Scotland is like looking for David Jones in Wales

That is an understatement. Janet Dobie is quite popular but John Campbells from Argyll by the dozen.

I search the IGI and could not locate a Campbell Dobie marriage. That record is the key as it would at least give a parent name and thin out the search.

I assume you make the statement that they marrried in Scotland because you found the children in Welsh PR's and not their marriage.

If they married, it could have been anywhere although Dobie is a Scottish name. You say that John came from Argyll, what is the source of that information ?

Kevin Williams

I believe they wed in Scotland for 2 reasons, firstly, my grandmother provided me with information before she passed away, that it was widely believed in the family that thats where they married.
    Secondly, in the 1851 census Janet Campbell (nee Dobie) is living at 24, High Street, Rhuddlan. She has her som Peter (55) with her at that time and he is listed as being born in Scotland.
    The conventions of the day, would make it highly unlikely she would have had him out of wedlock.

Mind then again, the census inumerator, may have made a mistake in his birth place.

Brick wall demolition expert!

She has her som Peter (55) with her at that time and he is listed as being born in Scotland

7. Peter CAMPBELL
    Born: 23 April 1815
    Married: Elizabeth DAVIES, 27 October 1838, Rhuddlan
    Born: Kings Head Inn, Rhuddlan
    Have you misquoted the 1851 census or is there an issue here. Peter born Scotland was listed as Born Rhuddlan. Also 35 would be a better age for him.

My guess is you mean that Janet was listed as born Scotland and as always with Scotland and Ireland, the enumerator does not bother with a town.

Unless through the family you have any inkling as to where in Scotland they married or where in Argyllshire John was born I cannot see a way forward other than a straight guess. If anyone else has any suggestions I am sure they will make them. Eventually all trails dry up.