Thread: Lovell name

Christa

Default Lovell name

I am searching for a baptism for Charlotte Lovell born Chatham, Kent in about 1815, she married Richard Lee, first child born 1838. Richard was born in Grinshill, Shropshire in around 1816. First three children were born in Woverhampton. I can find no baptism or marriage for Charlotte, her daughter's birth cert gave her maiden name as Lovell. She may not have been baptised in Kent, its possible the family moved to Staffs . Any help appreciated this is a brick wall that refuses to give..... Charlotte and Richard also spent a few years in France and that too remains a puzzle.

Many thanks for any help forthcoming!

Christa

Carmy

I hesitate to post this, Christa, because I don't want to confuse your research. The Lovell name is fairly unusual and I have one in my family, married to my brother.

Yours seem to have travelled around a lot. If your Lovells have any connection with Wales, from the 1920s and on, let me know.

sueannbowen

We have it as a boy's Christian name appearing in Sussex.

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Default Charlotte

Why Chatham as a birthplace? Pretty sure I have found the family on the 1851 to 1881 censuses, and in all of them she gives her place of birth as Dartford (or different spellings thereof). Apologies if I have the wrong family.

Christa

Default Lovell

Oh dear - I mixed up my families! It was a Booth born in Chatham, Charlotte was born in Dartford you are quite right Karen!

Carmy - I will let you know if I find a Welsh connection, but so far I can't ge any further as I don't know Charlotte's parents.

Finbar, not sure about the Gypsy connection the family were all iron workers and eventually ended their days in the North East.

Christa

Carmy

Finbar - odd you should mention Romanies. The Lovell family that settled in Llangeler were known locally as "Gypsies" - how we referred to Romanies in that part of the world.

Gypsies were regular visitors to Moelfre, the only mountain in the area, so it's possible that particular family decided to settle there.

Christa - I don't know the father's name, I'd have to look it up, but the widow's first name was Sarah. Her daughters were June and Melita. They were settled in Llangeler, Carmarthenshire during the 1940s and 50s. If you find a connection, let me know because there is a book published about the area. There are photos of the Lovell family that I could scan for you.

Good luck!