michelestitch

Default Saddleworth/Mossley Holdens

My g-g-grandfather was John Samuel Holden batized at St. George's in Mossley on 10 Feb 1839. Can't find marriage of parents Samuel Holden and Abigail Nield(Neil, Neild). I understand that St. George's didn't do marriages at that time. Abigail died 23 June 1842 buried at St. George's, Mossley, living in Brown Edge at the time.I found them in the 1841 census living in Mossley Brow with the Marsden family. Samuel is listed as a blacksmith on the census and Abigail's death certificate.
    Samuel then married Mary Ann Smith at St. Chad's Rochdale on 31 July 1843.
    Son Ralph was born Jan 1845. Samuel died sometime between Ralph's conception(April 1844?) and the 1851 census which shows Mary Ann living with her parents with the two boys and listed as a widow. Mary Ann Holden, her sister Eliza who married Edwin Lees, John and Ralph Immigrated to the U.S. about 1854. Ralph actually came over with Eliza and was listed as Ralph Lees on the ship passenger list. Haven't found ship lists for the rest.
    Samuel's parents are James Holden and Ellen (Nelly) hanson m. St. Chad's Church, Saddleworth 24 Aug 1795. Children was all baptized at St. Chad's, Saddleworth:
    1. Zabulon 18 Feb 1796 (James is listed as a clothier)
    2. Nathan 23 Feb 1798
    3. Ann 16 Apr 1802
    4. James 06 Nov 1804
    5. James 03 Apr 1809
    6. Mary 06 Jan 1812
    7. Samuel 04 July 1815
    Can't find any deaths for any of them, but more than likely James #4 died in infancy. Can't find any marriages either.
    Is there a way to write to St. Chad's Saddleworth or St. George's? Do they have anything online? If anyone has any suggestions or is related to this line, sure would appreciate the help.
    Thank-you,
    Michele
    p.s. you can e-mail me at michelestitch AT aol DOT com

mike lee

HOLDEN Samuel Harrop 1845 Saddleworth volume 23 page 404 ,,,this is a record of death in the free birth,marrige,deaths records {free bmd} . you can order certificates quoting this reference,,,but only if you are sure it is yours,,as they cost about £7,