louisemccrea

Default Gallacher in India

Hi

I have hit a bit of a brickwall with my gt. grandfather his name is Thomas Henry Gallacher from what i have been told he was born in Scotland but i cant find him and Gallacher is a rather common name. I know he emmigrated to India he married a Ida Maud Upshon she was born 5 sep 1887 in Vellore, Tamil Nadu and died 5 feb 1961 in Glasgow they had four children all born in India Margaret b.1915, Gladys b.1916, Patricia b. 1923 and Henry b. 1925. Ida and the children emmigrated to Scotland in 1928 Thomas was ment to follow but died i know he is buried in the Scottish cemetery in Calcutta and the possible plot no. is 1557. i would like to find his marriage and death i don't know if he was in the armed forces so that is why he never traveled with his family. Any help would be great as i have loads of info on his wife and her family and know more about her siblings spouses than my own gt. grandfather.

Thanks Louise

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by louisemccrea
    my gt. grandfather his name is Thomas Henry Gallacher....I know he emigrated to India he married a Ida Maud Upshon she was born 5 sep 1887 in Vellore, Tamil Nadu
    Do you have a marriage certificate for this - if so, what does it record?

they had four children all born in India Margaret b.1915, Gladys b.1916, Patricia b. 1923 and Henry b. 1925. Ida and the children emigrated to Scotland in 1928 Thomas was ment to follow but died i know he is buried in the Scottish cemetery in Calcutta and the possible plot no. is 1557. i would like to find his marriage and death i don't know if he was in the armed forces
    Have you tried the indexes to army births, marriages and deaths available on many pay-per-view sites such as findmypast, TheGenealogist, etc. They should also have consular B.M.D indexes. You could try the same for the marriage between Thomas GALLACHER and Ida UPSHON if you do not have the details.

Also, you might try the British Library India Office database and also Friends in British India Society (FIBIS) - both turn up ith search engines.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Do you have a marriage certificate for this - if so, what does it record?

Have you tried the indexes to army births, marriages and deaths available on many pay-per-view sites such as findmypast, TheGenealogist, etc.
    Nothing in the marriage indexes that I could find.

Procat

Nothing in the death indexes 1925 - 1935 either.

louisemccrea

Hi Geoffers and Procat

Thanks for replying i tried the fibis online and came up with nothing and same with the british library. I did not know about the Army records sites. I dont have a marriage certificate and don't know when they married i know Ida lived her whole life in India till 1928 when she came over to Scotland i think it was Thomas who wanted to come back according to my mum as Idas family had been in India since 1815 i have lot of info on her family as i have came across a lot of people researching the upshons with one man who went to the british library and traced the whole family except a few mariages one being Ida and Thomas but i have all the births baptisims and deaths. I emailed people whothe papers had wrote about who were going over to Calcutta to restore the cemetery they said the records have a lot of information but they did not get back to me they did say to email them if you thought you had any ancestors buried there i don't know if i should try them again or it may seem pushy but i know that is where he is buried as my mothers cousins went out to the cemetery years ago and restored his grave and put a new stone there.

Its driving me mad as i know if i can get a wee bit of info then i may have more sucess with his birth over here in Scotland.

Thanks Louise