Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    liza99

Default Tindall - teacher in Winnipeg

Hello everybody

I am hoping for some help in finding out about my mother's cousin Frank Tindall who emigrated to Canada & became a teacher in Winnipeg Manitoba.

I do not know when he emigrated or if he had a family. I met him once when he was on a visit back home around 1959-61 ( I was about 7 or 8). The last address my mother had for him is 405-15 Cornish Avenue, Winnipeg 1, though I do seem to remember that he earlier had a Tuxedo address.

Working on the time of the visit back home I found a record for a Frank Tindall arrived Southampton 12/7/1960 from Montreal, occupation teacher, visitor to UK for 2 months, born 10/8/1911, age 48. This ought to be him, but I can't find a matching birth record on BMD indexes to confirm.

My mother thought his father was Robert Edgar Tindall born around August 1884 East Heslerton, Malton, Yorkshire, who had a brother Frank Hornsey Tindall born around February 1882 same place. Both were blacksmiths last seen on 1901 census in East Heslerton. I can't find a marriage for either.
    I am wondering if they emigrated too and Frank was therefore born in USA or Canada.

I would appreciate anything anyone can find out.
    Best wishes,
    Liza

BeeJay

Hi Liza,

This looks like the family in the 1916 census:
    Peters Ave., Oxbow, Saskatchewan
    Tindall Robert Ed, age 32, born Yorkshire, England, immigrated in 1908, blacksmith
    Elizabeth, age 38, born Lancashire, England, immigrated in 1908
    Frank Irwin, age 4, born Brandon, Manitoba
    William Arthur, age 3, born Manitoba
    Nora Ellen, age 9/12, born Manitoba

I can send you the image if you’d like.
    I’ll look for them in the 1911 census and on passenger lists too.

BeeJay

There's a possible marriage for Frank's parents on the Manitoba Vital Statistics index:
    https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca//

Robert Edar TINDALL married Elizabeth GALLOWEY
    17 Jan 1910, Whitewater, Manitoba

v.wells

There are no listings for Frank Tindall in Winnipeg, but there is one in Ontario - I have just re-read your post and of course your Frank would not be alive now. but there may be a record of any bmd on the above link at https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca. Canadian directory lookup is canada411.ca

v.wells

Frank Tindall was at 15 Cornish Ave, Winnipeg in 1995. Check vital stats for a death sometime after that. There is also an obit for another Tindall in Winnipeg in 2007 who could possibly be another relative:

DOUGLAS WILBUR TINDALL (published on July 07, 2007)

DOUGLAS WILBUR TINDALL On Monday, July 2, 2007, Douglas died at the St. Boniface Hospital at the age of 66 years. No formal funeral service will be held. WOJCIK'S ALL BELIEFS FAITHS FUNERAL CHAPEL CREMATORIUM FAMILY OWNED OPERATED 897 4665

Nicolina

If you can confirm the Yorkshire connection I may be able to help you. I have some Tindalls in my tree back to about 1800.

BeeJay

Frank's parents were living in Souris DIstrict, Manitoba in 1911:
    Tindle Robert, age 27, born England, immigrated in 1905
    Tindle Elizabeth, age 31, born England, immigrated in 1907 (or possibly 1909)

The census records are available free here:
    https://automatedgenealogy.com/

There's a possible obituary for Frank in the Winnipeg Free Press in 1997. Perhaps someone else has access to the Newspaper Archives, but if not I can look it up when I'm at the library on the weekend.

liza99

Default Tindall - teacher in Winnipeg

Hi Beejay & Vanessa

Thank you both so much for replying with all this info & the reference websites. I'll check them out.

What can I say Beejay! You found him - and his dad Robert Edgar too. That's absolutely brilliant! No wonder I couldn't find Frank's birth & Robert's marriage in England!

It's definitely the right people. My mother also thought Frank may have had a sister Nora but couldn't be sure - and there she is!

Presumably I can try and follow the children up for marriages etc on the vitalstats site, and then look up directories for addresses. I'm not very sure what I can realistically expect to be able to find, this being my first 'visit' to Canadian genealogy resources.

Anything else you might come across is much appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
    Best wishes
    Liza

liza99

Default Tindalls in Yorkshire to 1800

Hi Nicolina

Thanks for replying. I can confirm the Yorkshire connection.

Robert Edgar Tindall's father was George Tindall born 1847/8 West Ayton, married Ellen Hornsey. His father was Thomas Tindall born 1814/5 Cayton, married Jane Rymer. His father was Thomas Tindall born 1790 Cayton, married Magdalen Robinson. Beyond this I cannot get.

Robert Edgar's brother Frederick William Tindall was my grandfather.

Do you have any of these in your tree?

Perhaps it would be best to switch to the Yorkshire - North Riding board for further communication.

Regards
    Liza

liza99

Default Tindall - Winnipeg

Hi Beejay & V.Wells

Been checking out the links you gave me.

Found addresses for 4 Tindalls currently living in Winnipeg off canada411.ca.

1911 census was on the automatedgenealogy.com link, but not 1916 census.

Total confusion with the vitalstats! It only seems to let you access records from more than 70-100 years ago. So how do I find out more recent info? Or am I missing something?

Are there records which record actual immigration &/or ship passenger records? I would like to find out if anybody came over to Canada with Robert Edgar Tindall, i.e. his brother Frank Hornsey Tindall. There is also a sister Elizabeth married to Arthur Thomas Drinkall in 1901 in Yorkshire who are not on 1911 census.

Help/clarification most appreciated.
    Regards
    Liza

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast